Lionblade

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
I'll be getting these parts soon. From what I understand, the Gig DS3L can support 45nm with a bios update.. sein as I have an old 2.66 Cele, I'll be needing to do this prior to putting in the E8400 Right?

I've decided Ima go with the DS3L cause I plan to OC a bit and SLI isn't important and I plan to upgrade to Nehalem.
If any other mobo suggestions, plz list.

tlmck

Distinguished
I am sure they will be. They just probably have not gotten around to doing the BIOS update. I am sure the recent balk by Intel on their release schedule had something to do with it.

I am glad I don't run a MB company these days. I would pull my hair out!

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
AFAIK all P35 motherboards only support 800, 1066 & 1333 FSB processors. And yes, you will need a supported processor to boot the board and update the bios. Might I suggest a Celeron 420 in the meantime to get it running before the 45nm arrives.

flyinfreeee

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2008
i was going to buy a DS3L also, with a E8400, (8800GT, OCZ 800MHz Gold also)... i haven't got another socket T processor lying about at all... i dont have many friends where I live either. Are you guys sure a bios update is required? I also read, that they supported 45NM processors which makes it annoying.

any ways around this problem without having to go to a shop to have it done (considering i dont have any mates in the vicinity)

p.s. what mobo could I get instead?... I dont want to spend much, which is why the DS3L was such a great choice

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
It's kind of a gamble when new processors come out whether or not the bios will be updated as purchased to support the new units. Pretty much any board you buy in the early going is a shot in the dark.

tlmck

Distinguished

That's all well and good, but it assumes a BIOS update is available.

The Celeron 420 as a place holder is not a bad idea. I don't know of pricing elsewhere, but I got mine for my Linux box for $39. Performance is not that bad for what it is. Can even handle a decent overclock.

alfredonm

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
hi there im same guy alfredonm whos link you posted (flyinfreee), even thought many have said that the bios utility will work with the new processor i think ill get anyways a celeron to update everything and have it all prepared before penryn arrives

rockyjohn

Distinguished

Nehalem will have a new socket so don't expect your DS3L to be upgradeable to a Nehalem.