EA Ditches SecuROM From Bad Company 2 Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

And all the other people who decide to buy a box are left with a DRM infested product, yeah you go EA...Exactly why I don't buy your games!!!

Its all to do with revenue generation and protection, come on admit it, you want to stop us selling what we bought second hand to reduce sales being eaten by second hand games, yeah EA, well bite my move to boycott you and Ubisoft!!!

I don't use Steam on principle because this is exactly where its helping lead us to irrelevant of how cool it seems to be!

There are enough honest games developers out there that deserve my money and boy are they getting ever more these days!!

e-rock

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2010
About time. Nice EA is supporting Steam. Now only if we could get cheaper games from steam on release....

[citation][nom]e-rock[/nom]About time. Nice EA is supporting Steam. Now only if we could get cheaper games from steam on release....[/citation]
Agreed. At any rate, BFBC2 will probably go on "sale" during June/July on Steam.

randomizer

Champion
I really don't know why they had SecuROM in there to begin with. It's completely unnecessary and just adds another level of complexity. For the box copies it makes sense though, because they would only have SecuROM and not Steamworks.

[citation][nom]moricon[/nom]There are enough honest games developers out there that deserve my money and boy are they getting ever more these days!![/citation]

Too bad that those honest game developers still get their games pirated all the way to the bank.

dstln

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
[citation][nom]matrixhemi[/nom]Im confused, I just game what does all this mean if I have the steam copy? Bad or good?[/citation]

There's less hassle and securom on your comp, so good.

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]moricon[/nom]And all the other people who decide to buy a box are left with a DRM infested product, yeah you go EA...Exactly why I don't buy your games!!![/citation]

Yes, we must cry, moan and make hyperbole level boycotts in forums because.. We are too lazy to pop a DVD in a drive. One that was securely stored in a media pocket no more than a foot from the drive it inserts into.

I'm guessing most of the people who raise all kinds of hell over this 'new' era of DRM; but I promise you it is easier now than the 'page 36, paragraph 2, sentence 3, word 5' crap I endured in the 80's and 90's every time I wanted to load up a game.

Don't get me wrong, I think boycotting should be reserved for games with a lifetime install limit of three times, and similar horrible DRM jokes; but over what EA has done on Steam? Poppycock. Enjoy not playing anything new.

axilon

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
[citation][nom]moricon[/nom]I don't use Steam on principle because this is exactly where its helping lead us to irrelevant of how cool it seems to be!There are enough honest games developers out there that deserve my money and boy are they getting ever more these days!![/citation]

Much like the 12 indie games I have sitting in my steam library, at least nine of such I am quite sure do not have readily available boxed versions at retailers. Amirite? /sarcasm

Bad Company 2 keeps getting better. Honestly, it's one of the best games I've played in a long time. Ironically, I loaded up Modern Warfare 2 to test a connection issue, and it wouldn't load due to a file error. haha!

4745454b

Titan
I've heard that steam has been busted so this might make it easier to pirate. On the other hand I'm a huge fan of steam so this is great for me. From the sales they have, auto patching, play anywhere (and thats a big one for me!) Seam just makes sense. Kudos to them for taking SR off.

ALANMAN

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
[citation][nom]4745454b[/nom]I've heard that steam has been busted so this might make it easier to pirate.[/citation]

In which case you'd have a copy you could never play online, which is the primary reason to play any of the Battlefield games.

Steam is good, Kudos to EA.

d-block

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
[citation][nom]4745454b[/nom]I've heard that steam has been busted so this might make it easier to pirate. On the other hand I'm a huge fan of steam so this is great for me. From the sales they have, auto patching, play anywhere (and thats a big one for me!) Seam just makes sense. Kudos to them for taking SR off.[/citation]

steam has been cracked for some time.. good move to drop the additional drm though

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
You know, guys, I own Half Life 2 E1 and TF, and sometimes, when I start the games, instead of seeing game start, I see the "it will start in XX seconds" and "Sponsored by company YY".

Why do I have to see adds / wait, when starting games I've paid for?

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Requiring internet connections, installing rootkits like SecuROM which hides in the background, doesn't un-install when the game is removed... yeah... Screw both EA and UBI-SOFT. Ah, remember when UBI was a tiny little company and EA was ECA...

But I thought EA was finally dropping the SecuROM since;
(A) Spore was pirated by 500,000+ users in by the first week of its release (unknown official sales records)

(B) World-class action law-suit because of SecuROM.

(C) It only punishes those who buy the game... read part (A).

If there are hundreds of thousands of people pirating a game title for PC, that DOES hurt our gaming. UT3 has a horrible online user-base, at prime-time, there maybe 100~200 people playing. This is Epics fault for screwing up UT 3 with bad game control ideas (lack of Zoom view) and crappy un-fun maps (10 good maps out of 33) so that by the time GOOD user-base maps are out, everyone got bored and moved on. In 2001~2002, UT Classic had over 500 Active servers with tens of thousands of people playing. Very sad. How many people bought UT3 for PC? 50,000?

But Epic doesn't DRM UT3 to death. Install the game, use the CD-Key, store the disc away and play. Simple as that, easy, no fuss.. well, not as good as UT2004.

I have little issues with STEAM... you have an account, you buy or get free games... unless the title includes SecuROM (which should state that before purchase).

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]You know, guys, I own Half Life 2 E1 and TF, and sometimes, when I start the games, instead of seeing game start, I see the "it will start in XX seconds" and "Sponsored by company YY".Why do I have to see adds / wait, when starting games I've paid for?[/citation]
We get this anyway with things like UT where that stupid nVidia advert shows, even though I have an ATI card.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
While I do dislike Steam, they're bearable. I may buy BC2 on Steam.
I do like having discs however. I don't sell them, when I'm done, I give them away.
I gave a couple kids my original Xbox and 20 games last time, can I do that with Steam (short of giving them my account)? No.
I think it's about time to give away a stack of Xbox and PS2 games again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS