EA May Face Legal Action Over Battlefield 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
So, I guess now the only risk in the stock market is to those companies that sell shares.... If stock value decreases, just sue the company to make up the loss....then pocket more money when the stock goes back up.

Yep this game was not ready for launch and was rushed in order to compete with call of duty. Less money grubbing executives and more gamers. Had the gamers been in control I believe more things would have been ironed out but because of the executives wanting to line their pockets we as consumers who spent anywhere from $59.99 to well over $100 get stuck with a crappy game.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Where's the restitution for the people conned into pre-orders or payed $60+ for a unfinished broken game, or any amount for that matter. This has happened all to often with EA, it's not a fluke. They knew what they did from day one. These fan's are who made EA and the BF franchise, and they get treated like a source of cash to be harvested. It's sad really.

Indeed.

During BF3's launch the dog wasn't the game itself, but Battlelog. The game was stablish(ish) but getting into a game was a nightmare.

BF4 has been the other way around. Battlelog is fairly mature and functional, but the game itself is quite unstable.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009

and the flip side of that coin is, if you don't want be treated like a source of cash to be harvested, then don't act like one by pre-ording games from EA. EA has had a tarnished reputation for years and this isn't the first game, or even piece of software in general, to have bugs on launch. change starts with consumers, not with executives.

I was given a copy of the game a little while ago so I didn't have to deal with the issues personally but I do recall the multitudes of posts complaining of the game when it was released. As a mature freebie though I think it's fantastic fun but I am getting a little tired of being shot in the head! :lol:

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
I hope all of this publicity makes DICE put Quality Assurance as one of their top priorities.

Literally every dice game that's been released on PC has been riddled with bugs. I used to rent game servers for Bad Company 2, and we would spend a hour filling a server, recruiting all our online friends to the server so we could get quickmatch traffic, but as soon as we filled the server, it crash'ed.

Same with BF3, but we expected it.

With BF4, we didn't even try, we knew it would be like this. Now we don't even rent servers anymore, but if we ever started back, it would be 6 months after the games release date.

The blame is not all on EA, DICE just writes shitty messy code.

Doesn't bode well for Mantle does it?

Mantle is clientside. Most of BF4's problems seem to be serverside. Aside from a few crash issues (mostly solved by beta drivers) the BF4 client is rather stable. I was quite amazed at how well it ran out of the box, they clearly put a lot of effort into the engine itself and it does show. The rendering engine is one part that runs correctly.

I wonder how many of the people who are experiencing regular crashes simply have machines that are exhibiting instability as a result of poor overclocking.

More than a few I'm guessing! :lol:

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I don't expect for any game launch to be 100% smooth, but there is no excuse for bf4's problems it's just not a few minor glitches here or there some of them are pretty big like the loss of save data.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010

I never said I was one of those persons. And thank you, you have added a very good point to the one I was trying to make. But the vote with your wallet form of protesting has been stated numerous times for numerous things and it never works and never will. People will still buy informed or not and defend / justify their purchases in one way or another. Further this is thwarted in the game industry by purchases made by parents / family that buy for young ones.

Honestly in the days of high speed internet, it seems most companies release games before they are ready now.

I remember getting games and they WORKED out of the box with no waiting on patches. Hell even console games release with bugs now.

robnof

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
I'm not even surprised anymore when I see a news article about EA doing shitty things at the expense of the consumer. It's also why I stopped buying their products. Buyer beware.

Peacelol

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

I would say it's still far from stable or being just on server side. They just have the ability to throw up server side fixes as it doesn't overwhelm those with limited caps each month. Notice all client side patch work is done in packages and typically around reset dates for most providers. (End or beginning of month)

Console platforms are even worst as it takes a longer period of time to roll out fixes because they have their own Q&A departments to review downloads.

I love the BF4 series, enough that bought a copy for all 3 platforms in order to play with everyone I know. However, EA really needs to lessen their pressure on developers altogether. Sure DICE needs to have some balls, but they're owned by EA so it's probably not as easy for them.... and in today's job industry... I'm sure some fear for their jobs and don't want to isolate themselves from the pack.

Case in point Star Wars MMO was rushed to release, that mistake cost them subs that just never returned. Sim City was also another failure with unstable servers. BF4 could have been improved so much more if they targeted a holiday pre-christmas release and still have sold a significant amount of units. Though I'm certain that both Sony and Microsoft pressured their partners to release something to encourage console sales. Aside from the very few exclusives, the best titles currently are multi platform.... and until March-July 2014 there isn't much available.

Status
Not open for further replies.