Discussion EA Releases Teaser Trailer for "Star Wars JEDI: Survivor"

Hello Gamers/Star Wars fans,

Some latest gaming news from the industry. It appears that Electronic Arts has released the official teaser trailer for Respawn’s upcoming Star Wars game, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor is the sequel to Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, and will come out in 2023.

Titled Jedi: Survivor, the third-person narrative-driven action-adventure game features protagonist Cal Kestis and the events that unfold five years after Fallen Order. And with that reveal came our first tease of what Cal Kestis is up to in the sequel, and things look dire for him and his trusty companion BD-1.

Though the trailer offers a mysterious and dark look, it does provide some key hints about what's going on with Cal five years after the events of Jedi: Fallen Order. With that big time jump in mind, we take a look at how Star Wars Jedi: Survivor picks up from Fallen Order and both expands on what we know of Cal's journey, and sets up an intriguing sequel. We dig into new characters, hints of the Stinger Mantis crew, and more in this first look of Jedi: Survivor.

Since Survivor takes place five years after the events of the first game, which sets it, for reference, at the same time as the Kenobi TV series. The Empire are at their worst, and again the story follows Cal Kestis. The trailer doesn't give much away. There's a bit of lightsaber combat, Cal's ship the Mantis crashed on a desert world, and a one-armed, long-haired fella floating in a bacta tank.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HLDaBGdnLc&t=59s&ab_channel=EAStarWars

StarWars.com was able to interview director Stig Asmussen for some further insights into the upcoming game.

StarWars.com: Something I loved about Jedi: Fallen Order was that it really dove into Star Wars lore beyond just the movies. Going to Dathomir was really exciting because I never thought I would see that in a video game, and I thought it showed a real love for the whole saga. Is that spirit something we can look forward to in Jedi: Survivor?

Stig Asmussen: "Absolutely. Dathomir was a planet I was interested in at very early stages of Jedi: Fallen Order, creating the game. Because Dathomir just seemed like this literally magical place where it was dark — it served the dark times tone we had during this time period. We’d seen it in Star Wars: The Clone Wars, but it hadn’t been explored that much. But it was known. We felt like this was a place we could go to and we could establish a lot of the things that we want to achieve in the game, and the world was just very rich and a good kind of stomping ground for us to have fun with combat and gameplay. You’ve got zombies there. [Laughs.] I mean that’s video games right there".

StarWars.com: Respawn just released a teaser for Star Wars Jedi: Survivor at Star Wars Celebration. I know there’s not much you can say, but something that struck me about it is the mood of the piece. It’s mysterious and menacing, and I’m wondering if you’d say that’s a reflection of what might be in store.

Stig Asmussen: "Yeah, you nailed it. Right there, that’s the purpose in the tone of it, is to leave the player with a lot of questions but they’re very intrigued. The game is all about survival. That’s why it’s called Jedi: Survivor. They are in dark times, and Cal and the crew are doing whatever it takes to stay alive. That might mean that they are making connections with people that, in other times, might be considered unsavory. Some of that is portrayed in the trailer, and again, I don’t want to give anything away, but there’s definitely a sense of… I don’t want to spoil anything, sorry! " [Laughs.]

star-wars-jedi-survivor-SWCA22-Tall-289722.jpg

Last edited:
While this is great news, I have to say, I've always hated vague teasers. I'm curious to see though how dark they'll go, and just what we'll have to do to survive. I never imagined a Star Wars game touching on the survival horror genre, but I'm kind of getting that vibe from what they're saying. If it's all that and no droid interaction humor though, I'm going to miss BD-1 from Fallen Order. They DO show BD-1 in the shot though, so maybe they can squeeze in both.

While this is great news, I have to say, I've always hated vague teasers. I'm curious to see though how dark they'll go, and just what we'll have to do to survive. I never imagined a Star Wars game touching on the survival horror genre, but I'm kind of getting that vibe from what they're saying. If it's all that and no droid interaction humor though, I'm going to miss BD-1 from Fallen Order. They DO show BD-1 in the shot though, so maybe they can squeeze in both.

Agree. Game teasers these days are just a marketing stunt to some extent as well. They want to create some hype as well. Will they choose a horror survival theme in Star Wars ? But anyways, I haven't even played Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order yet. It's on my backlog of "to play games" note.

I got Battlefront 2 recently though, and the campaign is pretty good. Even the graphics are awesome. It actually suits my taste, since we have guns to kill down enemies like other FPS titles, lol, unlike other core Star Wars games which rely only on Force and Lightsaber.

I think the story of Star Wars Jedi: Survivor will be connected to Fallen Order, or even intertwined as well, so it's better I play Fallen Order first. But there is more than enough time for Survivor to come out on the PC. So no hurry from my side.

Latest posts