News EA Reportedly Bans Linux Players From Battlefield V for 'Cheating'

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Using an unsupported OS and related software isn't cheating. This is likely a situation where the gamers are more tech savvy than the developers. EA/DICE just wants to take the cheap and easy route by deciding an unfamiliar system not controlled by Microsoft is too scary.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Unfortunately, as the owner of the IP, they get to set their own reasons as to what they support and why, even if that is completely illogical. I would agree that the resourcefulness of some users might have over-extended EA/DICE on their ability to understand, evaluate and prevent 'cheating' simply because they weren't prepared to handle users with the knowledge to run the game on something outside of Windows.

However - if these 'unsupported' OS configurations are going to be open to bans, this needs to be written into the user acceptance agreement so there is no confusion. (Which they might be, I do not know)

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I'm no expert on the subject, but it seems to me that EA should not have to invest time and money to validate that OS emulation for linux users isn't somehow an opportunity to bypass anti-cheating software. If users are not following the rules (i.e., use a supported OS) then as rule breakers they are cheating. Not all cheating results in an advantage to the cheater, but EA has an obligation to ensure the integrity of their game.

Jan 6, 2020
Electronic Arts reportedly banned Linux players from "Battlefield V" for cheating...even though they weren't.

EA Reportedly Bans Linux Players From Battlefield V for 'Cheating' : Read more
HotHardware news (which this NEws is based on):
"...a number of gamers over on the Lutris Forum reported ..."
So 25 days ago: 1 Guy said EA banned him because he is a Linux user. 2 Guys said they got a ban too.

What are the other Linuxusers doing? Gaming

QUITE a big number in this 25 days old FAKENEWS. 3 guys are the most amount of Linuxgamers i have ever heared of in BFV. You know in april 2019 there was a Linuxuser who said exact the same things. (View: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/bax4nt/my_battlefield_account_got_banned_ea_refuses_to/
) .

In the End they were cheaters, forgetting to close a cheating tool for another game or using some autobot-makros (when the same was said about blizzard banning linux gamers).

Using an unsupported OS and related software isn't cheating. This is likely a situation where the gamers are more tech savvy than the developers. EA/DICE just wants to take the cheap and easy route by deciding an unfamiliar system not controlled by Microsoft is too scary.
That's also not why they are being banned,the article says that they are using DXVK which "is a set of replacement dll files that translate from DirectX 11 to Vulkan. "
Messing with the dlls a game uses is one of the mayor ways to cheat.