EA Responds to SimCity Complaints; Gamers Launch Non-DRM Petition

Status
Not open for further replies.

joafu

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Was so excited for this until I heard about the always-online DRM, then I knew EA wouldn't be gaining a sale from me. I'm experiencing Schadenfreude for how this clusterfail has turned out- not towards my fellow simcity lovers, I hope you can all get refunds if need be- but towards EA for having their villainous plan fail on a grand scale.

You know, I am really getting sick and tired of hearing about EA and their crap. How can a company be so incapable of listening to the customers. Single player DRM is beyond ridiculous, it hurts the paying customers only, and it never stops games from being cracked.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
The real reason D3 and now SC5 have server issues isn't because they didn't know there would be, it's just that they don't want to go to the expense of having enough server capacity for the intitial rush only to have an excess of server capacity in a couple of weeks when things settle down. They build their server needs based on what is needed for the long haul so to speak.

That is not a defense of them however, merely a reason why they didn't learn from D3. It's short sighted and shows the accountants are making the final decisions rather then the game makers. Of course if there were no always connected requirement these issues would not exist in the first place and sales likely would have been higher by at least one copy (as I would have bought the game).

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
As much as I love Simcity, and have been really wanting to play this new one, I learned my lesson after last year, when Diablo III came out, the servers crashed and burned, and no one could play. Screw that! Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. No offline support, no purchase.

blackmancer

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
EA - "its in the game (after you login, find your download, download it, make sure the DRM works, authenticate, suffer poorly executed code making you wish you had torrented it)"

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
EA doesn't care about us, they want their $, and that's all.. DRM is hurting customers? I don't think they even know how to properly create a DRM..

BTW, give it a week and we will have a crack floating around.

sscultima

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
a post on IGN brought up a good point as well. If a company that runs servers for their games even to just play single-player and always need to be online, then if that company goes under and no other company is willing to pick up those servers, then how will you be able to play your $60 game? companies can drop at any time, i mean THQ blew up almost right after darksiders 2, what would have happened to all the gamers who bought it if it was also online only.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
If you don't like DRM don't buy the game. Complaining about it just means you didn't do your research before buying a product. The only "always on" games I will every play and own are MMO's so I've got nothing to complain about.

joafu

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]mazty[/nom]Nice one EA on ensuring SC5 will be in the top 5 pirated game this year.[/citation]
Sort of brings back memories of Spore; amazing are the parallels between Spore and SC5.

Well, maybe someday those noobs buying crap games will realize their mistake and force the companies to finally make quality products...
Do your research People! Blindly buying things will get you exactly this (you dont blindly clross a street... unless you dont care getting hit by a truck).

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]If you don't like DRM don't buy the game. Complaining about it just means you didn't do your research before buying a product. The only "always on" games I will every play and own are MMO's so I've got nothing to complain about.[/citation]

Why are these guys getting marked down, does the truth hurt that much? You as the consumer are responsible for knowing what you're buying. We all knew SC5 would be an always online game. You all rushed out and preordered it just to get a stupid tilechange like "being a British city instead". They already have your money, what do they care? You're doing them a favor by not playing the game you paid for, because that's less server congestion that they have to pay for. Your ragequitting ends up in savings.

Unfortunately, they are under no obligation to give refunds. Just because you aren't satisfied with a product doesn't mean you get your money back. You can't buy a car, drive it off the lot, and return it later because I find out it's a lemon. All sales are final. There may be an exception for those that preordered and didn't get their copy unlocked since they didn't get the product at all.

Learn the lesson yourselves. They aren't going to change anything because they know they can ensure preorders just by throwing in some miniscule promo that would end up as DLC later anyway. If you don't want to get sheared like a sheep, don't get herded like one.

azgard

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]Why are these guys getting marked down, does the truth hurt that much? You as the consumer are responsible for knowing what you're buying. We all knew SC5 would be an always online game. You all rushed out and preordered it just to get a stupid tilechange like "being a British city instead". They already have your money, what do they care? You're doing them a favor by not playing the game you paid for, because that's less server congestion that they have to pay for. Your ragequitting ends up in savings.Unfortunately, they are under no obligation to give refunds. Just because you aren't satisfied with a product doesn't mean you get your money back. You can't buy a car, drive it off the lot, and return it later because I find out it's a lemon. All sales are final. There may be an exception for those that preordered and didn't get their copy unlocked since they didn't get the product at all.Learn the lesson yourselves. They aren't going to change anything because they know they can ensure preorders just by throwing in some miniscule promo that would end up as DLC later anyway. If you don't want to get sheared like a sheep, don't get herded like one.[/citation]

Funny, in the case of your example in most if not all state's your statement is blatantly false.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
good thing I avoid all this mess, I knew this would happen.

but If every game developer do always on single player game, that would also be the day I finally quit gaming.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Sim City 4 was a setback from the series progression, and you could feel they had tried to ram as much sims into it as possible.

I imagine this next iteration only goes on to make things worse, even ignoring the EA issues.

EA really are funny, they've ruined so many game developers, I am shocked that they make a profit at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.