EA Reveals Battlefield 3 LE, Pre-Order Goods

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jath

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]hixbot[/nom]I'd like a physical DVD copy that I can sell if I choose, thank-you very much.[/citation]
And the key that will be tied to your account? Unless, of course, you sell your whole account. I'd only do that though if I Only have Battlefield 3 on it. Not all my games.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Only reason I want it on steam is for automatic patching, and hoping they choose vac for their anti hacking system. Punkbuster was crap and the best thing to happen for bc2 was the oversite during one version that allowed you to uninstall pb totally and go.

fausto

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
[citation][nom]BulkZerker[/nom]Only reason I want it on steam is for automatic patching, and hoping they choose vac for their anti hacking system. Punkbuster was crap and the best thing to happen for bc2 was the oversite during one version that allowed you to uninstall pb totally and go.[/citation]

pb > vac any day of the week buddy

fausto

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
[citation][nom]ajay_vishvanathan[/nom]anyways.. what is the pc spec. req??[/citation]

the baddest pc you can muster:0

fausto

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
[citation][nom]Maximus_Delta[/nom]Seriously guys, wtf with this not being on Steam. Guess I will be missing out on it too but glad I got my Bad Company 2 multiplayer with destructable buildings (left of out BF3, another thing I can't believe).[/citation]

probably a necessary design decision. those destructible buildings require serious horsepower in addition to everything they are doing new in bf3.

fausto

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]While I am disappointed that I will not be able to purchase it on Steam, I am going to buy it anyways. With that said if certain retailers are offering certain bonuses which retailers offer what bonus items for the PC version?[/citation]

pc version preorders of digital download from Origin get everything but the kitchen sink.

Alpha players get the kitchen sink in the form of a free game in a speacial preorder deal.:)

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]BulkZerker[/nom]Lemme know when the steam version is available. And they release a sdk for this. Bf3 could easily last 10 years with that. Let the community make maps for the game for free ea then patch the best ones in. Makes more sense than paying your devs teams then making us pay for them. Free maps and new games bought at 30 a crack, or a map pack that fragments the community that makes you $15 each? Which sounds like it'll make money to you?[/citation]
Will never come to Steam because Valve changed conditions of publishing terms. Valve doesn't allow publishers to offer DLC or any kind of extra content exclusively through other retailers. Because PWP, SPECACT and dog tags pack are available at different retailers EA is violating Valve's policy and so Valve will never sell it through Steam. EA doesn't care who sells as long as they get their money from it, but Valve does care to suck every penny they can from publishers.

Jath

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]fausto[/nom]the baddest pc you can muster:0[/citation]
You don't need that much of a badass computer. I was in the alpha and on DirectX 9 it ran smooth as anything. I know it wasn't DirectX 11 and some of the features were out, yatta yatta, but it ran Smooth. Very smooth. That was on my old computer too - one I keep at my sisters place - with an 8800 GTS. Not too old, I know, but still not the best card I've worked with.

They did say too if you can run (Battlefield 2 or Bad Company 2, I forget which one) you can most likely run this guy pretty well. I'd need verification on that one though.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]ajay_vishvanathan[/nom]anyways.. what is the pc spec. req??[/citation]
Alpha runs great at 1280x1024 resolution on C2D E6600, 2GB ram and Ati 5750 1GB, but alpha is w/o destruction and particles. My guess is that it will run great on any quad core, 2-4GB and Ati 6850 or better, running great meaning min FPS above 24

pooflinger1

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
[citation][nom]brandonjclark[/nom]No Steam, no sale!Get it through you stupid phuking head, EA![/citation]

Maybe Steam should get it through their phuking heads. EA wanted this on steam. But steam demanded that all updates be pushed out through steam and steam alone. EA walked. I would have too if I were a developer. Nobody should tell me how I am to manage my product just because they distributed it. How would you like it if Walmart said that if Developer X wanted to sell their product in their stores (Retail and/or online), would it be acceptable if the only way to update your game was to go to walmart.com? No. So why should it be acceptable for Steam to do the same thing?

Apple Troll Master

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
For all the Steam Fankids...

What happens if Anonymous or lulzsec take down steam or simply take there user database and credit card info?

How long will it take to download this game?..at least an hour.

I'll go to the game store pick it up and be home in 15mins...then I'll proceed to make an image of the DVD in 5-8mins...Then I will proceed to mount the image and install. I will be playing the game while your still downloading it.....The joke is on you.

I'll just get my physical copy and have a nice day....

G

Hello, I am from the year 2003. Everyone is complaining about Steam in 2003, ppl won't play games if that's the delivery. I just thought I would pop into this time machine and go to the future to see if Steam still exists..

Oh what's this.. you won't play the game if it's not on Steam.

What a strange planet. Ok back to 2003.

Jath

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
[citation][nom]apple troll master[/nom]For all the Steam Fankids...What happens if Anonymous or lulzsec take down steam or simply take there user database and credit card info?How long will it take to download this game?..at least an hour.I'll go to the game store pick it up and be home in 15mins...then I'll proceed to make an image of the DVD in 5-8mins...Then I will proceed to mount the image and install. I will be playing the game while your still downloading it.....The joke is on you.I'll just get my physical copy and have a nice day....[/citation]
One, I don't see why you wouldn't just install the game after getting it instead of making an image first. I mean, what, to run it mounted without the CD? Do that after the install. Less of a pain. Heck, I would Hope it's a game that also doesn't require the CD, so just installing it would be even better and imaging it as a backup.

Downloading it through Steam, if it takes an hour the internet must suck.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]You guys behave like if Battlefield 3 needs an active DRM from origin to play unlike blackops/MW2 with steam. Another thing, there's lots of digital download service that offers Battlefield 3.[/citation]

But there arent alot of digital downloads that i can sort with already perchaced games in a platform i already have.

[citation][nom]apple troll master[/nom]For all the Steam Fankids...What happens if Anonymous or lulzsec take down steam or simply take there user database and credit card info?How long will it take to download this game?..at least an hour.I'll go to the game store pick it up and be home in 15mins...then I'll proceed to make an image of the DVD in 5-8mins...Then I will proceed to mount the image and install. I will be playing the game while your still downloading it.....The joke is on you.I'll just get my physical copy and have a nice day....[/citation]

If playing the game before me is really that important to you then well the joke really isnt on me..

HMRkingpin

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
[citation][nom]lotsAgames[/nom]I'll only buy it if its available on steam. I'm not going to maintain anther games/store platform.[/citation]

I have used origin before, just for battlefield 2142.... It works fine. I also use steam for every other game. What is so hard about using a different platform to download? Anyways, Just go buy the physical copy from gamestop or something. Thats what I did (pre-order)

HMRkingpin

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011

I hear ya. I pre-ordered the physical copy, just for that reason. They hope it just takes an hour to DL. With everybody and their brother trying to get the game at the same time.....

Status
Not open for further replies.