EA Shows Off Q4 Financials, SimCity Sells 1.6 Million Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
It could be that this is "bad behaviour"... Or it could be that the bubble world of internet forums and comment sections like Tom's Hardware don't scream bloody murder in the face of always online requirements. Don't get me wrong, I don't like it and I can see the pitfalls, but, when I tell people I know "don't buy that, it's always online" a lot of them say "so what?"
A lot of people don't think this is that big a deal. These sales support that. The next XBOX, if it IS always online, will probably let a lot of you here down and sell like hotcakes. This is the future - get used to it.

amoralman

Honorable
May 20, 2012
If we just accept it, then it's coming for sure. AFAIK, XBox Durango will NOT be always online after all. I guess forums do make a change (well, depends on the forum's rep and size of course).

dkcomputer

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
I wish EA would die a swift death. This star wars thing might give them more life, I'm still in shock that Disney gave the rights to the voted #1 worst company in america.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
i wish theyd look at these 1.6 million sales as a failure simply because of the shear amount of sales that were lost because their ongoing problems. I wouldnt be surprised if this game sold double had it not had all those universally experienced problems.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Yeah, vote me down all you want, but... Does anyone honestly think that 20 years from now people will blink twice at an always online requirement? Were any of you alive when seatbelts became legally required in cars, and remember the outrage the people voiced over that? Doubt it. I'll bet a lot of them thought they were going to get their way too.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Yeah, vote me down all you want, but... Does anyone honestly think that 20 years from now people will blink twice at an always online requirement? Were any of you alive when seatbelts became legally required in cars, and remember the outrage the people voiced over that? Doubt it. I'll bet a lot of them thought they were going to get their way too.

While this may not be the popular opinion on internet forums, the simple fact is that most people do not care about always on connections (myself included).

Most of my games are on Steam... which requires internet. The biggest game I play is an MMO which I play mostly solo at the moment, but it requires internet. The Adobe software I use likes to call home periodically, which requires internet. My work requires that I have an internet connection to respond to important emails quickly, and most of my non-work communication is done via the internet as well. As I do not have cable, satellite, or a digital antenna box, all of my entertainment comes through the internet. Life (or at least mine) already requires an always on internet connection. The internet connection is not the problem, and I simply do not care if someone wants to run their DRM through it.

The problem is making a game that:
1) Is unbalanced and broken at basic fundamental gameplay levels
2) Does not have the network support in place to play the game properly
3) Does not have the social network in place to easily find the people I want to play with
4) Strips the fun sandbox feel of the originals out, and forces players to play on much smaller scales to force specific game-play rather than letting me run a SIMULATOR where I have control of more of the variables.

If they make a Sim City like that, then I would buy it, internet connection or not. But as they managed to create Sim City-states or Sim Hamlet rather than Sim City, I am not buying it... which is disappointing because I was waiting a very long time for it from the initial announcement to final release, and I really like a lot of the new management aspects of the game... but such is life.
They sold 1.6 Million Units (to stores... not people), and they could have sold a lot more units if they had gotten a few fundamentals right.

holyknight1121

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011

Maybe in 20 years, when everybody can have a constant internet service and when game servers will stay open and online 24/7, then maybe we won't complain about this always online requirement. The seat belt thing is more of a need from drivers? I'm sure we don't want more deaths and injures from simple car collisions, anyways there are some places that allow no seat-belts while riding in a vehicle.

Lucho Arrecho

Honorable
Apr 20, 2013
1.6m....It is THE SimCity for God sake...It is not respectable at all it a is a great failure...I am so disappointed with this game I was so looking forward to it....

Timmy225

Honorable
Apr 14, 2013
@ stevejnb
You are a conformist assclown will probably stand in line if they came out with the mark of the beast tomorrow.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
Timmy225, if the cause that you get riled up about to the extent that you start spewing vitriol towards people is always-on internet requirements for games, perhaps you should seriously examine your priorities. "Conformist assclown"... I recognize this is happening. I recognize that a lot of people don't care. I also recognize that a lot of people have far more meaningful things going on in their life than worrying about whether some digital service is going to require a constant internet connection or not for it to even factor into an issue of conformist/non conformist.

Thorfkin

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
They're having a great year because they refused to provide refunds for anyone who complained about Sim City. That's not a good long-term business strategy. I won't be buying any more of their software and I'm sure others feel the same way. If they keep this up they won't have any customers left.

kickmyjiminy

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
My hope for Battlefield 4 is that they would see that BF3 Premium is still selling in March, so a large player base will still be playing BF3 when they intend to launch BF4, and maybe delay BF4 to next year or something. They would then be able to wait for the next gen consoles, which are looking to be more like PC's based on the hardware specs we've seen. I only say that because it seemed like they created BF3 for consoles, with the PC as an afterthought.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Why are you doing this Disney? I want to play new SW games, but I just can't buy anything from EA again until they prove that they deserve my money.

eiskrystal

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
That's pretty low in the "highly awaited games" category. Though it helps if you don't give refunds and sweet talk people with a free game instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.