EA Staffer Not Liking EA's New Restrictive DRM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostsoldier

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Ironically the pirated version works perfectly by making a virtual server for the game to communicate with, fooling it into thinking it's online. The DRM only hurts legitimate players.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
I will never buy any software with that sh*tty drm. I bought Zero Hour and C&C3 and would have bought C&C4 but now - no way.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]I've had absolutely zero problems with it, and I have a terrible connection. I have no idea what his issue is.[/citation]

Then read the article one more time. Good to know tho your connection works perfectly fine and you enjoy your game. I haven't bought it but im not as arrogant and I know how messed up it is for those that did pay for it and have issues with it.

turtlespeed

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
When do companies start to become smart?
I started buying official copies maybe 10 years ago. And my experience with drm and game protection is making the fun factor go down. For instance games who are overly protected because game manufacturers are so afraid to loose money with piracy. But the funny part is...they already lost! And with drm they keep pushing people towards illigal software.
Because the offical version is becoming more and more expensive.
On top of that drm is negatively influencing the play and fun factor.
for example: not able to use mods, fallout 3 is such an example. Some offical download sites overly protect their games. That is one reason why I check to buy which game where... If I know that a company uses too much protection I will then not buy so much from them any longer.

Bottom line: Thiefs will not easy convert to saints... most of them will stay stealing even if they become 'mature' in age. Young learned old done we Dutch say. And the people who buy offical copies would keep buying the offical.

Solution: stick your expensive drm plans in the artic where it's cold.
And put some sunshine on the gamers faces by lowering the price.
Better sell more copies , more income then less and sell them for expensive.

thanhhaimai

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
DRM = Fail.

As someone stated, pirated version works fine while legitimate buyers get into trouble.

DRM only hurts legitimate buyers and make the pirates wait a day longer. WT..?

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Keep in mind that they have to pay quite high sums to even commission DRM to be created. I think they lose more to paying that than they would piracy.

Then they have to pay for the server to literally do nothing but sit there and watch games play...

Although this stuff is pretty effective at killing used game sales.

Quinid

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
I have C&C4 with my Verizon 3G isp and yeah, the losing progress is f--king annoying. I had to patch it with a pirate version just to play my single player campaign skirmishes like I like.

triculious

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
one would wish that people who are in charge of designing DRM or any other mechanism to protect copyright stopped a bit and asked themselves: will this bother my clients instead of those who pirate it?

simply put: I buy a legitimate dvd movie, have to read through unskippable FBI warnings and whatnot, then watch some trailers (not from another company, but the same one who published this specific dvd, mind you) which are also unskippable and THEN I get to watch what I paid for.
If I go the pirate way, I insert my dvd disc and watch the movie I want to (they way it should be if I actually PAY for the darn thing)

same for games: buy an original with a dracononian drm and lose your two-hour progress because your internet service blinked... now ain't that nice?
go for the pirate version and you get all the benefits and none of the hassles: play as long as you want on or off line, install as many times as you need/want

something seems to be working backwards

I like steam's model, I wonder why not more companies can take on it

people's going to steal stuff always, has always been doing it, will always do it, but I think doing the drm things right will slow down people who are considering the pirate way... right now seems to be encouraging customers to go pirate instead

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
I try my best to support the PC game world by buying games in store or buying my games on steam. But this new Stay Connected all the time thing, that doesn't work so well, i have a great connection, but every now and then my internet does go off, but i never know when it does. If SC2 is anything like C&C4 then my SC2 experience is going to be shitty. The game didn't score to well either, it averaged a 71. At 50 bucks and the stay connected thing i will wait for a bargain price of 20 dollars or i will for sure pirate it =D

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
PLEASE remove this new and annoying brand of DRM.... I have a bad internet connection and this new idea is absolutely ridiculous. I will litterally never buy a game that has this kind of drm.

pipes990

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I have been a fan of C&C since the original Windows 95 version. This will be the first one I don't buy. It makes me sad inside.

Trueno07

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Before this, i was kinda a supported of DRM.

But now companies are starting to pull this crap and i can't for the life of me understand why they can't see that it DOESN'T work. It's beyond me why they need to treat us, the paying customers, like children when the Pirates get the game with out DRM (Not just for free, but DRM free).

I would love to buy your games EA, Ubisoft. But i can't bring myself to do it.

fulleraj

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2010
Thanks EA for ruining one of the greatest RTS series of all time. Being a huge fan of previous releases, I unfortunately bought C&C4 and have regretted it since day one. This type of DRM is atrocious!

CR0W M@GN3T

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Why does no one bring up Stardock in these discussions? Their games sell even when they are completely DRM free and their impulse store is actually way more convenient than steam since I can install my game whenever, and wherever I want on multiple PCs.

Looks like the scheme could be blindsided by poor connections or other technical problems. I wonder what would happen if a really large number of gamers repeatedly contacted the companies, complained, and threatened not to purchase future games.

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
I hate DRM. HATE IT. It's a lock down feature for something I bought with my hard earned money.

Then I try and put myself in the position of devs. I worked hard for my money, shouldn't the people who make the games we love get paid to do so? For sure. No one wants to work hard and get nothing in return.

So now we have a problem: People need to get paid, people also pirate software. Some argue that because the software is too expensive, they'll steal it. I've done it, you've done it... it's stealing. You got something you didn't pay for. You can't argue your way out of that.

So what's the solution? Look at what Radiohead did. they embraced a new distribution method and BAM!! They're making money with out any type of lock down on their music. I like it, as do many others out there. Look at Steam, they're doing just fine. It goes to show you, if you make it easy for people to pay (and not punish them with DRM) you'll be ahead of the curve.

The ONLY solution is to offer a great (if not only good) product with no restrictions to give people incentive to purchase your product.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
This is what happens when game developers blame piracy for crappy sales. They refuse to believe 10,000 reviews are wrong when rating a poor game to the public and everyone isn't buying it because of its lackluster gaming. Instead they then treat legit gamers as pirates and handicap them. They wander why people aren't buying those games, well what else do you Developers have to blame you already blamed piracy once!

thejester420

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I say let them add all of this DRM stuff, then we can all together quit buying there software and watch these companies crumble, if they can't sell DRM enabled software they won't make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.