EA: Star Wars Old Republic MMO Beyond Q2'11

Status
Not open for further replies.

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
I play MMOs almost exclusively, and will likely give TOR a try, however EA hasn't exactly a stellar record when it comes to MMOs, hopefully they wont ruin this one.

G

it's EA at the last second they will pull the plug on the PC version and release it on the Nintendo wii

mattfoo2324

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
If they would make the graphics look like something from the last 5 years, I would consider it. Seriously, invest the money into making it look half-way decent. WoW looked better than this when it was first released.

waikano

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
"Let's hope the financial burden doesn't cause the publisher to implode before Q4 2011."

Dragon Age just went Triple Platinum. I don't think 1 year of expenses is going to kill this one. Not to mention their 1.1 Billion in Cash Assets.

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
With all the personal at EA and all it's partnered development studios being/been laid off I will be suprised if will live up to what we want it to be. Mythic joined EA and it has been a downhill slide every since and Warhammer is in a bad state. They laid off the new content department so it woul dbe safe to say there will be no expansion content. Things that need fixing are going to take some time to be addressed also.

I hope TOR is an awesome MMO and I am signed up for the beta and cannot wait!

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Let's hope the financial burden doesn't cause the publisher to implode before Q4 2011.

It's EA. It should read:

Let's hope the financial burden causes the publisher to implode before Q4 2011.

deathmustard

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2009
First off guys. This game is being made by Bioware. Every thing they touched has turned to gold and they are most likely my favorite devolpers. They are just got swallowed up by EA. EA is paying the bills but Bioware is making the game.

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Well, I was hoping this game would come out before Cataclysm, but I'd imagine Cataclysm will be out this year which will prolly be taking up all my time when TOR comes out. Bummer.

I guess I might try Star Trek Online, depends on the final Kotaku review for me tho

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I am not into MMOs but a Bioware Star Wars one...it will be hard for me to resist.

Also, all the nubbies complaining about EA (yes, I agree they suck) should note the game is being made by Bioware. Bioware is the shiz naz.

nukem950

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
Sounds like a solid plan for EA, it gives them a chance to steal the good stuff from star trek online and improve on the other things.

Hope Slayer

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
[citation][nom]nukem950[/nom]Sounds like a solid plan for EA, it gives them a chance to steal the good stuff from star trek online and improve on the other things.[/citation]

Dude....It's being made by Bioware.

Bioware sets the standard in their games, others copy them. Their worst games are far better then most other developers "Greatest Hit".

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]pei-chen[/nom]Give us KOTOR III.[/citation]
I agree, both KOTOR were good, buggy crash prone but very fun. As far as pay a monthly fee to run around with a bunch of kiddies, no thanks.

Xzar

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
[citation][nom]mattfoo2324[/nom]If they would make the graphics look like something from the last 5 years, I would consider it. Seriously, invest the money into making it look half-way decent. WoW looked better than this when it was first released.[/citation]

Agreed. Bioware already has the technology to make games with good graphics that run on modest system requirements. They should use it to improve TOR's terrible graphics.

See Dragon Age for example. My 2006 PC with 2.2 GHZ AMD single core, 7800 GT and 2 GB of RAM runs it flawlessly on medium settings, even when the screen is filled with darkspawns. And Medium on Dragon Age looks a lot better than what we currently see from TOR.

A 2011 game like TOR should look at least as good as a 2008 game like Aion.

And 2011, that will be 2 years after DirectX 11 was released...

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I think EA must be beginning to struggle a bit for cash; perhaps because of this. Just recently it was uncovered that some of their other titles aren't getting ported to PC. Things must be tight at EA indeed.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
MMO's consume too much of your life and most of the people online are are irritating. The subscriptions are especially irritating. Give me single player games I can beat in 20+/- hours like all of Biowares other awesome stuff.

They could churn out 5 awesome single player games or this one MMO. Bioware shouldn't waste their time.

Not everyone plays online. EA is dense.

ME2 is fantastic.

G

[citation][nom]pei-chen[/nom]Give us KOTOR III.[/citation]
Couldn't agree more. And leave Mass Effect well alone also while you're at it... We don't need another George Lucas in the games industry. DLC is fine, but don't go ruining perfectly good franchises just by chasing the WoW cash cow.

Round hole, square peg? Some games just work better offline- especially story driven games like Mass Effect. If it ain't broke then don't fix it!

Status
Not open for further replies.