EA Studies WoW While Prepping SW: TOR Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I really want this game to be as amazing as I imagine it to be.

On the flip side, I also want it to fail. Why you might ask? Because then I wouldn't be tempted to destroy my social life (Like I sorta did with WoW). If it sucks, I'll pass it by, and not ever think twice about it -- if It's epic, than I'll constantly be reminded and tempted to play it...which, well, you know how that'll go.

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
It is going to be hard to compete against WoW. I also play WoW, and i tried every new MMORPG that was launched because i started to hate WoW...but after playing 2 weeks on the new MMO's i returned to WoW...

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]crisan_tiberiu[/nom]It is going to be hard to compete against WoW. I also play WoW, and i tried every new MMORPG that was launched because i started to hate WoW...but after playing 2 weeks on the new MMO's i returned to WoW...[/citation]
Well, that may have been the case with WoW before, but for 2 straight quarters since Cataclysm's release WoW has lost nearly 1 million subscribers, with the first 600,000 coming before Rift's release.

Right now Bobby Kotick is WoW's worse enemy. Ever since the merger and Vivendi naming Kotick the CEO of the gaming division, WoW has been completely different as has Blizzard. EA should only look at WoW right now for how NOT to do something.

poofypants

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
I played wow long enough. No more grinding anything for this guy. If the game doesn't generate intense action or completely wow me, it's not getting picked up.

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
I think alot of people have been burnt out on MMO type games through over playing of WoW - they move onto more instant-gratification type games such as LoL. I think unless SWTOR has some amazing features which takes advantage of these types of gamers it won't encourage them back and won't attract current subscribers to WoW to move; anyone else get the feeling of "i've put so much effort into WoW but in this new game i've got nothing" feeling when switching games?

G

>life wasting games.
>get outta the house. go talk to some girls...

Don't think my wife would be happy with that...

G

I would like to play and support Bioware, But I will never touch another EA publication again!

I am still waiting for GW2, its going to be revolutionary! No more needless grind, Persistent world that suffers cause and effect (No more respawning mobs that stay put on their path) awesome classes and art work, fantastic gameplay and real pvp!

Luckily LOTRO will keep me grinding until I am released from the Grind Mill.

Mark my Words, EA will stuff this game, 100% Guaranteed!

Zuesacoatl

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
I think the nail was hit on the head, most people are done playing MMOs for a bit because wow was good enough to keep our attention for so long it wore us out. I have tried other games, rifts is wow with tons of unbalanced specs, and holes in the sky, GW is pathetic, the old classics are just that, old. Nothing coming out will have anything new that has not already been done with the overall MMO game mechanics. Game gimmicks will only work for so long, like rifts and hundreds of specs for rifts, or traps and other features of DnD, but unless instant or immediate gratification can be given, I do not see many players sticking with WoW or TOR for much longer. Games like Diablo 3 and others will begin to reign supreme for a short while until something in the MMO industry changes.

Andrei24

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]GoldenGoose[/nom]I think alot of people have been burnt out on MMO type games through over playing of WoW - they move onto more instant-gratification type games such as LoL. I think unless SWTOR has some amazing features which takes advantage of these types of gamers it won't encourage them back and won't attract current subscribers to WoW to move; anyone else get the feeling of "i've put so much effort into WoW but in this new game i've got nothing" feeling when switching games?[/citation]

exactly my thoughts on this as well

ct001

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
"As seen with Blizzard's Cataclysm expansion for World of Warcraft, TOR gamers are expected to burn through the new MMORPG's content rather quick, and will likely wait on the sidelines until the next expansion pack is released. That said, BioWare may need to take Blizzard's new route of releasing short bursts of content to keep those gamers from cancelling their subscriptions until the next major release."

Or just make the content challenging, instead of 'drool on the keyboard' easy and it'll last longer than 8 hours. Its not about 'instant gratification', or '100% server uptime'. Its about forming an interesting community. There was nothing special about WoW except for the community (which they subsequently destroyed late WOTLK/Cata, which is why its bleeding subs badly). But keep it up with the phasing/instancing/sharding of the player base, don't allow the community any viable method of filtering out the jerks, and continue to put the focus on gear over teamwork, and see just how quickly yet another MMO can go down the drain.

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
It sucks that I keep getting older and busier while games keep getting more interesting and time consuming.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]ct001[/nom]Or just make the content challenging, instead of 'drool on the keyboard' easy and it'll last longer than 8 hours. Its not about 'instant gratification', or '100% server uptime'. Its about forming an interesting community. There was nothing special about WoW except for the community (which they subsequently destroyed late WOTLK/Cata, which is why its bleeding subs badly). But keep it up with the phasing/instancing/sharding of the player base, don't allow the community any viable method of filtering out the jerks, and continue to put the focus on gear over teamwork, and see just how quickly yet another MMO can go down the drain.[/citation]

You're so wrong. The people who complain that the content is too easy are the ones who don't try hard mode. I played wow a lot when it came out, raided hardcore and spent way too many hours. Now, myself and most of my guild would much rather spend an hour or two getting through content that isn't "bash your head against a wall" difficult. We put enough time into the game and now want to relax and have fun in the community you spoke of. Going back to hardcore isn't an option for us and that is what NORMAL mode is for. Hard mode is for everyone else who wants a challenge.

Wow is bleeding subs because it's just too old, people are bored of it and don't have the insane number of hours to put into it anymore. I doubt that any MMO will have as many subs as WoW did.

Nightsilver

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
And as ct001 said, the content in MMOs needs to be challenging. The reason people burn out so quick is because developers dumb down or nerf boss encounters into the dirt in the name of accessibility and appeasing the people who don't want to put in the effort instead of pushing the community to better themselves.

Cataclysm at launch was a huge step back in the right direction for WoW, and they've already taken tremendous leaps backwards.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
4 things that killed WoW:

-Flying mounts (bye bye world pvp)
-Dailies (bye bye economy)
-Arenas (bye bye balance)
-Dungeon finder (bye bye social network AND front-of-the-instance pvp)

Universally hailed as a good thing, the effect of those "improvements" was insidious indeed.

LongLiveRock1974

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
I've quit playing MMO's all together. While they can be fun and I've made a ton of online friends, I hated the feeling that I needed to play to keep up with everyone. I stick to single player games now. If I don't want to play, I don't. I know I can pick up right where I left off and not feel like I'm falling behind or that I missed anything epic for not playing.

msgun98

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
[citation][nom]balev[/nom]life wasting games.get outta the house. go talk to some girls...[/citation]

I did, got married and I'd rather be playing these games.

ct001

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]You're so wrong. The people who complain that the content is too easy are the ones who don't try hard mode. I played wow a lot when it came out, raided hardcore and spent way too many hours. Now, myself and most of my guild would much rather spend an hour or two getting through content that isn't "bash your head against a wall" difficult. We put enough time into the game and now want to relax and have fun in the community you spoke of. Going back to hardcore isn't an option for us and that is what NORMAL mode is for. Hard mode is for everyone else who wants a challenge.Wow is bleeding subs because it's just too old, people are bored of it and don't have the insane number of hours to put into it anymore. I doubt that any MMO will have as many subs as WoW did.[/citation]

I've done hard modes, have 'world 1sts' under my belt. From Ony to Sunwell, to HM lich, I've done them all. Yes there are a few tough as nails fights (25-man heroic anub comes to mind...), but that accounts for only 0.00001% of the total game content. The rest is far too easy. There needs to be something in between.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I played WOW for a couple of years. In the beginning I think it was a bit more fun, with the 40 man raids and such and the difficulty. But in the end it was just grind with no skill and I hated it. I won't touch the game again. And as for SW-TOR... I mean for crying out loud people its an EA game. That's enough for me to avoid it. EA produces crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS