Each boot up perform a scan

Road_Runner

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003

Hi ... I have windows xp pro full RETAIL version with SP2 install ... I am
curious as to why whenever i boot up my computer i get this white bar scan
being done , it does it pretty quick and all but i am curious as to why it
does this ??? Anyone have any ideas ... Thanks

Hi,

Perhaps your antivirus software?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Road_Runner" <beepbeep@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi ... I have windows xp pro full RETAIL version with SP2 install ... I am
> curious as to why whenever i boot up my computer i get this white bar scan
> being done , it does it pretty quick and all but i am curious as to why it
> does this ??? Anyone have any ideas ... Thanks

Road_Runner

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003

Hi ... I don't think it has anything to do with my anti virus program ... I
will explain it a little better as to what takes place .... You know
whenever you turn off your computer by pressing the power buttom , now i
don't do this, its just a example , anyways when you go to boot back up your
computer will do a scan on the drive to see for errors , well its similar
to that ... Any ideas ?? thanks

> Hi,
>
> Perhaps your antivirus software?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Road_Runner" <beepbeep@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi ... I have windows xp pro full RETAIL version with SP2 install ... I
>> am curious as to why whenever i boot up my computer i get this white bar
>> scan being done , it does it pretty quick and all but i am curious as to
>> why it does this ??? Anyone have any ideas ... Thanks

Hi,

You mean the disk checker is running on every boot?

Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Your Computer [Q316506]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316506

Also look under "C" at Kelly's site for some other suggestions:

> Hi ... I don't think it has anything to do with my anti virus program ...
> I will explain it a little better as to what takes place .... You know
> whenever you turn off your computer by pressing the power buttom , now i
> don't do this, its just a example , anyways when you go to boot back up
> your computer will do a scan on the drive to see for errors , well its
> similar to that ... Any ideas ?? thanks

>> Hi,
>>
>> Perhaps your antivirus software?
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Road_Runner" <beepbeep@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi ... I have windows xp pro full RETAIL version with SP2 install ... I
>>> am curious as to why whenever i boot up my computer i get this white bar
>>> scan being done , it does it pretty quick and all but i am curious as to
>>> why it does this ??? Anyone have any ideas ... Thanks

Road_Runner

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003

Hi ... No that not it , it doesn't do the normal xp scan disk option , it
more like the way windows 98 would do a scan disk but it a white bar and it
goes pretty quick , quicker then a normal scan would be done ... Also i
don't have a scanner ... Any other idea ??? Thanks

> Hi,
>
> You mean the disk checker is running on every boot?
>
> Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Your Computer [Q316506]
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316506
>
> Also look under "C" at Kelly's site for some other suggestions:
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Road_Runner" <beepbeep@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi ... I don't think it has anything to do with my anti virus program ...
>> I will explain it a little better as to what takes place .... You know
>> whenever you turn off your computer by pressing the power buttom , now i
>> don't do this, its just a example , anyways when you go to boot back up
>> your computer will do a scan on the drive to see for errors , well its
>> similar to that ... Any ideas ?? thanks
>>

>> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Perhaps your antivirus software?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
>>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>>
>>> "Road_Runner" <beepbeep@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Hi,

Ok, then I am confused here. When precisely are you seeing this bar? How
long has it been happening? What were you doing with the system before this
started?

--

> Hi ... No that not it , it doesn't do the normal xp scan disk option , it
> more like the way windows 98 would do a scan disk but it a white bar and
> it goes pretty quick , quicker then a normal scan would be done ... Also i
> don't have a scanner ... Any other idea ??? Thanks

>> Hi,
>>
>> You mean the disk checker is running on every boot?
>>
>> Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Your Computer [Q316506]
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316506
>>
>> Also look under "C" at Kelly's site for some other suggestions:
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Road_Runner" <beepbeep@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi ... I don't think it has anything to do with my anti virus program
>>> ... I will explain it a little better as to what takes place .... You
>>> know whenever you turn off your computer by pressing the power buttom ,
>>> now i don't do this, its just a example , anyways when you go to boot
>>> back up your computer will do a scan on the drive to see for errors ,
>>> well its similar to that ... Any ideas ?? thanks
>>>

>>> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

Remember the bar at the bottom of the W2K screen? XP has it too.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 10:28:08 -0400, Road_Runner wrote:

> Hi ... I have windows xp pro full RETAIL version with SP2 install ... I am
> curious as to why whenever i boot up my computer i get this white bar scan
> being done , it does it pretty quick and all but i am curious as to why it
> does this ??? Anyone have any ideas ... Thanks

The white progress bar about 3/4 of the way down on the screen? I get it
too - it's only on the screen for about 3 seconds before the appearance of
the "Welcome to XP" screen that has the progress bar of blue dots. It's a
normal part of XP's boot screens.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Road_Runner

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003

Hi .. Yep i am kind of confused too , How long its been happening not really
sure but i just installed xp pro about 2 months ago ... What i am doing at
the time is noting beside just your normal way of booting up the computer
.... Now all i would do boot up the computer , would get the bios screen ,
after that i would get this quick white bar scan, its at the bottom of the
screen , after that the windows logo screen comes on ... I don't have any
problems with any programs or hardware , All my programs have the latest
drivers, its just i never notice this scan on my other friends computers ...
This scan might take about 2 or 3 seconds the most

> Hi,
>
> Ok, then I am confused here. When precisely are you seeing this bar? How
> long has it been happening? What were you doing with the system before
> this started?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Road_Runner" <beepbeep@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi ... No that not it , it doesn't do the normal xp scan disk option , it
>> more like the way windows 98 would do a scan disk but it a white bar and
>> it goes pretty quick , quicker then a normal scan would be done ... Also
>> i don't have a scanner ... Any other idea ??? Thanks
>>

>> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> You mean the disk checker is running on every boot?
>>>
>>> Chkdsk Runs Each Time That You Start Your Computer [Q316506]
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316506
>>>
>>> Also look under "C" at Kelly's site for some other suggestions:
>>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
>>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>>
>>> "Road_Runner" <beepbeep@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Road_Runner

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2003

Hi Sharon ... So you get it too ??? Its funny though not everyone gets it
.... I'm curious if it might have something to do with the motherboard or
the way the bios is set up ???... I have Abit IC7 Max3

> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 10:28:08 -0400, Road_Runner wrote:
>
>> Hi ... I have windows xp pro full RETAIL version with SP2 install ... I
>> am
>> curious as to why whenever i boot up my computer i get this white bar
>> scan
>> being done , it does it pretty quick and all but i am curious as to why
>> it
>> does this ??? Anyone have any ideas ... Thanks
>
> The white progress bar about 3/4 of the way down on the screen? I get it
> too - it's only on the screen for about 3 seconds before the appearance of
> the "Welcome to XP" screen that has the progress bar of blue dots. It's a
> normal part of XP's boot screens.
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Hi,

Ok, I would guess, based on the information provided by Sharon, that it is
something that is generated by the hardware in use. You may want to post
your system specification to her to see if you have something in common.

--

> Hi .. Yep i am kind of confused too , How long its been happening not
> really sure but i just installed xp pro about 2 months ago ... What i am
> doing at the time is noting beside just your normal way of booting up the
> computer ... Now all i would do boot up the computer , would get the bios
> screen , after that i would get this quick white bar scan, its at the
> bottom of the screen , after that the windows logo screen comes on ... I
> don't have any problems with any programs or hardware , All my programs
> have the latest drivers, its just i never notice this scan on my other
> friends computers ... This scan might take about 2 or 3 seconds the most

>> Hi,
>>
>> Ok, then I am confused here. When precisely are you seeing this bar? How
>> long has it been happening? What were you doing with the system before
>> this started?
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Road_Runner" <beepbeep@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi ... No that not it , it doesn't do the normal xp scan disk option ,
>>> it more like the way windows 98 would do a scan disk but it a white bar
>>> and it goes pretty quick , quicker then a normal scan would be done ...
>>> Also i don't have a scanner ... Any other idea ??? Thanks
>>>

>>> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

I get it as well, seems like I first started noticing it after updating to
SP2.
It is only there for a very few seconds.
I think it is now part of XP's boot up routine.

--
Don Burnette

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 19:43:39 -0400, Road_Runner wrote:

> Hi Sharon ... So you get it too ??? Its funny though not everyone gets it
> ... I'm curious if it might have something to do with the motherboard or
> the way the bios is set up ???... I have Abit IC7 Max3

Using an Abit AN7 board here but saw it with my Gigabyte board as well. I
find it odd that no one else knows what we're talking about. I've seen this
screen so often (on the desktop and my 2 tablet PCs) that I don't even
think twice about it anymore.

If you've ever hibernated the system, you'd see a similar screen with the
same white progress bar marking time as the Windows is busy restoring the
saved state.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User