Question Each parts works individually, but when all connected, no internet.....

Scary_crow

Honorable
Nov 6, 2015
Hi, I have a networking problem that I have no idea how to resolve. I have recently moved into an apartment. I have my modem connected to my router, and because my bedroom (where my desktop is) is relatively far from my living room (the biggest problem is that it is separated by a few thick concrete walls), so wifi is very much not an option to connect my desktop. I had bought a home plug and this got me internet in my bed room by running internet over the powerline. However, recently I noticed that each room actually have a ethernet plug in the wall. So I bought a cheap ethernet cable tester and I found out that the ethernet plug in my living room can pass signal to my bedroom. So I want to use this instead of my home plug (as the speed on that is much slower…. I only got 30Mbps on it, whether as wired connection on my router, I got 300Mbps at least…..)

Now, here is the problem. I plugged a cable from my router to the ethernet plug on the wall, and then connected the ethernet plug from my wall to my desktop, there is no signal. The ethernet light on my desktop doesn’t flash, nor the router got any light flashing on that LAN. I tried the same connection on my laptop, also nothing. So it is like as if I have not connected anything on those ports. I had tried to reboot my system, still no connection and no light. I know that the ethernet cables are working, as they were the same cable that I use to connect up with my home plug. So I wonder does anyone know what’s wrong with this connection? (I have tested this setup with my ethernet cable tester, and I know that electrical signal does pass through.) I was suspecting that maybe the distance is too far perhaps, but I search on the internet, and it say that ethernet cable should still works at length of 100m and I am sure the length of cable inside my wall is at most 20-30 m max as my home is small. So I am at a lost now, really don’t know what’s wrong with my connection :( Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
You're advised to have the router located centrally in your house so the WiFi signal is propagated towards all directions in your crib. You might want to also state the networking hardware for the sake of relevance of this thread.

Scary_crow

Honorable
Nov 6, 2015
You're advised to have the router located centrally in your house so the WiFi signal is propagated towards all directions in your crib. You might want to also state the networking hardware for the sake of relevance of this thread.

Thanks Lutfit. So let me add a bit more information. I can't quite move my router, because if I do I will need to drag along a ethernet cable across the floor, which is something that I am trying to avoid. As for my hardware:

The modem is Huawei EchoLife HG8040 (provided by my ISP)
My router is Tenda AC9
My home plug is TP-Link TL-WPA4530 Kit