Each WD Internal drive getting bad sectors after some days!!!

shaiban001

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Hi,
I have very strange problem. Every WD internal drive is getting bad sectors just after 5 - 10 days!!! In the last 6 months, I have received 5 - 6 replacements and every drive failed after some days. I have mentioned some points that could you help you in the case...
- Drive temperature reaches to 40+ degree Centigrade after just 4 - 5 hours of usage!!! I have placed the drive outside of the cabinet. And outer temperature (in hyderabad. this time weather is cool here) is not more than 31 degree centigrade.
- After reaching to peak temperature like 42+ degree centigrade, computer almost hangs and restarts.
- Drive doesn't get detected sometimes in BIOS!!!
- When I started PC with UBUNTU, its disk utility is reporting some bad sectors on this drive.

I am not able to understand where can be the problem. Is it SMPS, cable or motherboard? If you need any other information please let me know.

Thanks,
sHAILU

I had one motherboard that was the cause of something similar. It kept just killing drives. Got new drives every week when it would start to get bad sectors, swapped out PSU thinking it was that and finally after the 4th or 5th one, tried it in a different PC, was stable for weeks with no bad sectors, swapped out the MB in the other PC and it was fine. You can trying changing cable, PSU but it could be the MB.

kriskory

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
You could try to get a PCI SATA card so you would use that instead of the built in controller and see if that solves the issue if it is the MB controller thats killing the drives.

MC_K7

Distinguished
40 degrees is normal operating temperature for a hard drive. Computer parts always get hotter than the ambient air. So if it's 31 degrees in your room and your drive get 42 it's a very normal temp. Maximum operating temperature is around 60 or something.

Western Digital drives are usually very reliable. If they keep dying in the same PC it's most likely other components in the PC that are killing them. Just as others mentioned probably the motherboard or power supply.

Which motherboard/chipset do you have. A year ago, intel had problems with it's 6 series chipset. I would think it's fixed by now though unless you never replaced your board.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4142/intel-discovers-bug-in-6series-chipset-begins-recall

ntel just announced that it has identified a bug in the 6-series chipset, specifically in its SATA controller. Intel states that "In some cases, the Serial-ATA (SATA) ports within the chipsets may degrade over time, potentially impacting the performance or functionality of SATA-linked devices such as hard disk drives and DVD-drives.".

shaiban001

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Hi Expert,
I am using the board mentioned in the below link...
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3250953&CatId=1572

Processor: Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115030

So if it comes to decision for changing the board, which board I should go with? Should I buy/search for the same board on the net or some other board? And what I should look for in a new board for compatibility otherwise it will be a big headache if I order wrong board online. People are suggesting for board that supports DDR3 rather than DDR2. Please advise.

Thanks a lot.

Saranga

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Hi,

I've got somewhat the same problem here. A few weeks back I bought a new computer along with a Toshiba 1TB hard drive, I also attached my old Samsung 500GB hard drive as well.

It functioned well for a few days, but suddenly the Toshiba 1TB started making weird click noises and when I checked, its health was at 19% and it had developed some bad sectors.

Returned it, and got down another Toshiba 1TB, same problem. But the weird thing is the Samsung 500GB is functioning properly, no bad sectors, and health at 100%, if it was a problem with the Motherboard or the PSU, it should affect the other hard drive as well.

I too need a solution for this.

shaiban001

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Still I am not sure what it is! So today, I am going to change my cabinet (and sata data cable) itself that has inbuilt PSU (iball cabinet). If still problem persists then I will change the board but that will be costly :(

Saranga

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012

Hi shaiban001,

What are your PC specs?

shaiban001

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Saranga, I have given my process/motherboard details in the earlier post. Please follow that link.

four4magicparts, I asked at some shopts. They are just guessing :( Nobody is perfect in troubleshooting these days, they only know to replace the parts :(

Saranga

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
40C is a normal temperature. What do you use to monitor your HDD temperature? I'm in Sri Lanka and it's almost december so the temperature is down, my hdds are between 31 - 40 C.

Saranga

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012
Yes, both my HDDs are SATA, one is a 500GB Samsung, and the other 1TB Toshiba. When idle, the Samsung is at 31C and the Toshiba at 33C. On hot days it goes even upto 37, 38, but never gone over 42, even when it's at work. Have tried swapping cables, doesn't make a difference.

TRENDING THREADS