EagleTree Capital Pays $525 Million For A Majority Share In Corsair

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtd871

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
I don't know whether to be encouraged or dismayed by the VCs consolidating the stock for a majority stake. I fear that the new "ownership" could portend mediocrity and commoditization for Corsair's products.

That's my concern as well. Business history has shown time after time where majority share "investors" ruin companies by controlling from the quarterly profit results over quality and innovation (and especially customer service). But I will say this as a 20-year PC builder: I have never bought something Corsair just for the name brand, specifically cases, power supplies, and memory.

There's a LOT of competition out there among those three core PC build components, and Corsair has to earn my buck. However without question they do dominate the AIO water cooler market and I'd go with them just based on their premium performance over competitors in the same price range (high end specifically - nobody can touch their H110i GT).

Dragon4570

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
We will be lucky if they stop at mere mediocrity. When investors that have zero experience in an industry start calling the shots it only ends badly. The only thing this might help is to get their higher output power supplies back in stock. But otherwise we are going to see the VC's want a higher margin due to Corsairs premium name.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I know, this could either be a good thing or a bad thing. I'm hoping more money means better Corsair products. But on the other hand, putting emphasis on profit over products could hinder Corsair's ability to provide quality. And I also agree that Corsair makes a lot of good products. I love the K65 RGB keyboard, I have two of them and they are great. I've had varying experience with Corsair PSUs, RAM, and cases. My 500R has been holding up strong after nearly 4 1/2 years of use and 2 builds. But I've had good and terrible experiences with Corsair PSUs.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
Corsair stuff is already pricey, but you get what you pay for with them for the most part at least. Hands down best cases around, and don't get me started on RAM. I wish their fans were better, but I still own 5 of them because they are also easily the best looking LED fans out there.

I'm really hoping they can actually start improving, instead of everyone's predictions that they will fall into mediocrity or worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.