Question Early 2015 Macbook Pro charger delivering 30-40 Watts - Normal?

buster108

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013
Hi,
I recently got an early 2015 MBP and downloaded coconut battery just to double check stuff. The laptop itself has been fine as has the battery. But I couldn't help notice at the bottom under "charging with" the wattage of the charger read as anywhere from 35-40 watts. Is this normal from a 60W charger? It's the original charger for sure (I know the person who I got the MBP from). It seems to recharge fine but wondering if this might become an issue in the future ?
Thanks
Here's the photo of coconut battery. I'd ignore where it says model and manafacture date as it says the real one right above.
View: https://i.imgur.com/4fJlhdg.jpg

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
But I couldn't help notice at the bottom under "charging with" the wattage of the charger read as anywhere from 35-40 watts. Is this normal from a 60W charger?

This is the reason why fast chargers exist.

Hardware is sold with normal charger, in your case, the one that charges with ~35W. If you want to utilize the full ~60W charging, whereby battery gets full faster, you have to fork money out for a fast charger.

Isn't it a neat trick many manufacturers do? :devilish:

buster108

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013

Hardware is sold with normal charger, in your case, the one that charges with ~35W. If you want to utilize the full ~60W charging, whereby battery gets full faster, you have to fork money out for a fast charger.

This is a 2015 MBP. I don't think it was fast charger ready ? I think the charger it comes with was the quickest? Happy to be proven wrong tho and that this current wattage is nothing to be worried about. Thanks!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I don't think it was fast charger ready ?

Fast charging has been around far longer than last 8 years.

I think the charger it comes with was the quickest?

According to Apple:
85W MagSafe Power Adapter with MagSafe 2 style connector
* 15-inch MacBook Pro models introduced in 2012 through 2015

60W MagSafe Power Adapter with MagSafe 2 style connector
* 13-inch MacBook Pro models introduced in 2012 through 2015
Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201700
(Scroll down until you find the text i quoted.)

buster108

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2013

This is a 2015 MBP. I don't think it was fast charger ready ? I think the charger it comes with was the quickest? Happy to be proven wrong tho and that this current wattage is nothi
Fast charging has been around far longer than last 8 years.

According to Apple:

Source: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201700
(Scroll down until you find the text i quoted.)

Ah I see! Thank you for explaining it. So is there nothing to be worried about that it's on 40Ws ish, rather than what the charger is rated at?