News Early AGESA Versions Responsible For Possible Ryzen 7000 Delayed Release

InvalidError

Titan
Everyone can wait 2 weeks.
If I was in the market for a new PC, which I'm not, I definitely wouldn't want to be back in the 300-like situation where it took several months from launch for AMD to sort out most memory compatibility issues and a year beyond that for most boards with particularly problematic obsolete BIOS versions to get cleaned out of the market.

I tend to buy near the end of a product cycle where most major gotchas have hopefully been worked out.

Reactions: thisisaname

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
And / Or it could be because AMD has found out the (paper) launch date of Raptor Lake and is delaying until after Intel has (paper) launched a couple of top end models, and AMD will then (hard) launch the entire lineup of desktop CPU's.!

Reactions: thisisaname

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
And / Or it could be because AMD has found out the (paper) launch date of Raptor Lake and is delaying until after Intel has (paper) launched a couple of top end models, and AMD will then (hard) launch the entire lineup of desktop CPU's.!
Alder Lake's launch was the best stocked launch since covid hit. Raptor Lake is the same node with some extra cache and other tweaks a year later. There's not reason to believe Intel will be paper launching.

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
Alder Lake's launch was the best stocked launch since covid hit. Raptor Lake is the same node with some extra cache and other tweaks a year later. There's not reason to believe Intel will be paper launching.
I watch the videos on the YouTube channel "mooreslawisdead", they seem to get far more right than most, including the previous launch date of the Ryzen 7000 series, and much more. They are saying that only the top end Raptor Lake CPU's will be launched to start with, and that they will paper launch before a hard launch, and that the bulk of the desktop Raptor Lake SKU's wont be "available" until late in the year or early next year.

Whilst AMD will hard launch the entire lineup at once.!

Seeing as the AMD Ryzen 7000 launch seems to have been delayed a couple of weeks (according to this rumour), and the "presentation" by Lisa Su is already booked, it seems that AMD will now paper launch, and then hard launch a couple of weeks later.! This "might" mean that the NDA's for all of the benchmarkers and reviewers will also be delayed, otherwise their reviews will be made on an older AGESA version than the launching products, and this will make the reviews look worse than they should.!

Like all of these launches, there are a million things going on simultaneously, everything is fluid to some degree, and we will find out a whole lot more in the next few days. These kinds of launches (platform) are always fun for us nerds...

The only two things that come to mind are DDR5 memory shenanigans (new IMC and all) and the recent security findings that would put their SMT implementation under risk, so I'm sure they'd want that fleshed out?

Other than that, nothing else comes to mind. Well, except the usual "oh, this stream of instructions hard locks the CPU!" type of problems, lol.

Regards.