Early November 2012 DRAM Prices Decline, Flash Stabilizes

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Soon... DDR3 prices are becoming so cheap that a 16GB (8gb x2 kit) will be the new 4gb.

[citation][nom]MystK[/nom]Where can I find 4GB of 1600MHz RAM for $1.62!?[/citation]

Where did you read that you can? The article clearly states 4Gb (equal to 512MB), not 4GB, and that it's for the individual chips, not the rest of the module.

DDR and DDR2 memory cost a arm and a leg, I would have thought that it would be more profitable to stop producing DDR3 memory and produce the older memory. The volumes may be a lot smaller but the profit margin would be enormous.

[citation][nom]pjmelect[/nom]DDR and DDR2 memory cost a arm and a leg, I would have thought that it would be more profitable to stop producing DDR3 memory and produce the older memory. The volumes may be a lot smaller but the profit margin would be enormous.[/citation]

I can't imagine them selling much. How many new computers or other such devices use older memory except for mobile phones/tablets/similar devices that use low power versions of DDR and DDR2? I'd think that if there was ample demand, memory companies might produce more DDR2 memory, but that they don't because there simply isn't enough demand for it.

jazz84

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
[citation][nom]pjmelect[/nom]DDR and DDR2 memory cost a arm and a leg, I would have thought that it would be more profitable to stop producing DDR3 memory and produce the older memory. The volumes may be a lot smaller but the profit margin would be enormous.[/citation]

Unless I'm mistaken (and that is ALWAYS a possibility), I'm pretty sure that the DDR3 chips are produced on a smaller manufacturing node than DDR2. The switch from producing DDR2 to DDR3 would likely involve some re-tooling at the chip manufacturing stage, and going back would likely be unjustifiably expensive.

[citation][nom]jazz84[/nom]Unless I'm mistaken (and that is ALWAYS a possibility), I'm pretty sure that the DDR3 chips are produced on a smaller manufacturing node than DDR2. The switch from producing DDR2 to DDR3 would likely involve some re-tooling at the chip manufacturing stage, and going back would likely be unjustifiably expensive.[/citation]

You could simply do a die shrink to a modern process. I still say that I think that it's not worth doing, but there's little reason to use an older lithography when newer and better ones are available.

Status
Not open for further replies.