Question Early signs of GPU artifacting or just software issues ?

sastrasena

Prominent
Sep 3, 2021
Lenovo Legion 5 (AMD Ryzen 4600H, RTX 2060)
Latest Update for Windows 10 and GPU driver, issue randomly appeared without changing anything.

I believe my display is starting to show signs of artifacting, the most ive seen is 3 pixels at once but they vary in colors (black, dark blue, cyan, etc). I have only encountered this in some apps (Microsoft Teams, Desktop, Photos, Discord, Some Websites) and not in videos/anything moving. I don't really know how artifacting works so ill just explain my observations:

• They can be screenshotted, but have to be in the same condition (full screen) to see the same artifacting,

• Somethimes it happens in apps with scrolling and a slight scroll would make it dissapear but scrolling up makes it show again.

• Changing settings in Nvidia control panel (adjust desktop colors) such as vibrance and brightness even by just 1% may cause the artifacts to dissapear but also cause new artifacts to appear at different positions and even make it flicker.

https://user-images.githubuserconte...297-d03bd0e1-557c-4a82-821c-b1d59fe1e242.jpeg
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwwRMULmWXY

Attached Image: Artifact 1 ,2 pixels (dark blue and cyan) 50% vibrance/default
Attached Video: Artifact 2, cyan flickering pixel when i changed to 51% vibrance
Additional: When its 52% brightness, both pixels dissapear, not artifacts.

Try using an external monitor, maybe connect the laptop to a TV or a desktop monitor and see if the issue remains. If yes then it's either the GPU or software related. If no, then it's the laptop's screen.

If the issue remains in the second monitor/TV, you will still have to find out if it's software or hardware related. Use DDU in safe mode to remove and reinstall your GPU drivers.
How To - How to perform a CLEAN install of your video card drivers. | Tom's Hardware Forum

If you still have the blinking pixels then it's most likely GPU to blame.

sastrasena

Prominent
Sep 3, 2021
hi, it doesn't show up on my TV so its the screen, but any idea on what display issue it is since, the pixels are very random, and appears randomly (i believe any pixel can be affected, no pattern i see yet though). But thanks for the suggestion, really glad to know my gpu wasn't dying

I'll try using the warranty if i can but if not i dont really mind the screen issue since i know my gpu wont die anytime soon too