Early sink strategy?

The 2nd entry in the Early Strategy Series for Newbies. How do you
handle fountains in general? Do you pass them up early on or
kick/quaff them? Drop rings down them? At what point do you do this?

Thanks again!

On 9 Mar 2005 15:16:59 -0800, wolverinefan@gmail.com wrote:

>The 2nd entry in the Early Strategy Series for Newbies. How do you
>handle fountains in general? Do you pass them up early on or
>kick/quaff them? Drop rings down them? At what point do you do this?

Once I'm at the point of feeling relatively confident in my fighting
ability (say, Skilled in a decent weapon and fast with an AC somewhat
lower than zero), I'll kick every sink I find until I get the ring.
I'll look for puddings if I need any more of the basic intrinsics, and
I'll try for foocubus encounters if I've a high-ish CHA and INT.

Basically, ignore 'em until I'm into the early midgame (done with
Sokoban and the mines, but not ready for anything heavier yet).

--
Keiran
--

James

In article <1110410218.974812.162000@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
<wolverinefan@gmail.com> wrote:

>The 2nd entry in the Early Strategy Series for Newbies. How do you
>handle fountains in general?

Leave them alone.
Maybe, as one of the last steps before going to the planes,
#dipping in each of the low-level fountains makes sense in case
you might get an extra wish.

Lawfuls should try for the sword when they can, but it's somewhat risky.
Otherwise, fountains should be left alone.

Sinks are different. As soon as your character is ready to deal with a
foocubus, kick all sinks to get 1 pudding, 1 fook, and 1 ring.

Some people might be able to drop rings down sinks, but I can't bring
myself to destroy anything that might be valuable.

james wrote on Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:18:46 GMT:
> In article <1110410218.974812.162000@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> <wolverinefan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >The 2nd entry in the Early Strategy Series for Newbies. How do you
> >handle fountains in general?

> Leave them alone.

Early on, I leave both sinks and fountains alone.

When I'm tough enough, I kick each sink until it gives up a ring and a
pudding. I eat the pudding for the intrinsic, and then I pickaxe the
sink into a fountain. Some players use the succubus to gain levels, but
I find it too tedious.

Once I can handle moccasins and angry water demons, I dip out all
fountains to gain wishes. If I badly need something uncursed, I might
risk dipping even if I am not able to beat moccasins.

I never drink from fountains or sinks.

--
"Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness. Then I
am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious

james wrote:

> Some people might be able to drop rings down sinks, but I can't bring
> myself to destroy anything that might be valuable.

If you have two of the same kind, you can spare one (unless you really
want to wear two rings of gain strength instead of eating giants or
getting GoP)

Raisse, killed by a black pudding

On 9 Mar 2005 15:16:59 -0800
wolverinefan@gmail.com wrote:

> The 2nd entry in the Early Strategy Series for Newbies. How do you
> handle fountains in general? Do you pass them up early on or
> kick/quaff them? Drop rings down them? At what point do you do this?
>
> Thanks again!

I tend to use them for ring identification and that's it. I'm quite
indifferent about them usually.

--
Mostly harmless.