[SOLVED] Earthing alternatives for PC

RajTheGeek

Commendable
Aug 12, 2020
Hi there,

I'm building a new PC but at the moment there's not earthing at my place and won't be possible for few days. So I'm finding to have any alternatives for earthing. Will a surge protector help me protect my PC for temporary basis? Like this: https://www.belkin.com/in/p/P-F9E400-1.5M/

Or is there any other option? I'm using Corsair CX550 psu for my PC will it help me provide a bit protection?

Let me know your suggestions.

Thanks.

Solution
I would wait if you value your health, and the hardware. I mean, you can BUILD it, but I would not USE or plug it in until the electrical system is correctly implemented.

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
No sorry,a surge protector will not replace earth protection.
Most surge protectors require an earth to function correctly as they dump some of the surge current to earth.This also applies to the surge protection in decent power supplies.
Earthing is mainly there to protect the user from a fault where a live line touches the chassis and would have a resistance so low that it would guarantee the fuse would blow.
If you use the PC without an earth you may find that you get small electric shocks from the case.

RajTheGeek

Commendable
Aug 12, 2020
Hi
No sorry,a surge protector will not replace earth protection.
Most surge protectors require an earth to function correctly as they dump some of the surge current to earth.This also applies to the surge protection in decent power supplies.
Earthing is mainly there to protect the user from a fault where a live line touches the chassis and would have a resistance so low that it would guarantee the fuse would blow.
If you use the PC without an earth you may find that you get small electric shocks from the case.
Okay yes there's an older PC at my place I get small electric shocks from the case. So should I wait to get earthing or its okay to build PC and start using it right away?