EA's Origin Sends Personal Data to Third Parties

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Your wrong. Stephen Reid stated on The Old Republic forums you wont need origins to launch, update, or play The old Republic.

"Regardless of what other games may choose to do in their integration with Origin's desktop client, here's what our situation is:

You are not required to use the Origin desktop client to download, patch or play the game client for Star Wars: The Old Republic.

This applies whether you purchase The Old Republic via Origin.com or from a retailer in boxed form. You will not be forced to install the Origin desktop client.

There are still various consumer benefits to the client itself, but it's not required for The Old Republic."

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Its one of the reasons i uninstalled this spyware to begin with (along with autostart ect). EA played nice for a while but it seems their going back to the old EA where they will learn the same leason again - DON'T antagonize your income (ie customers) it only bite you in the ass later!

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I planned on downloading SWTOR while I waited for my physically copy to arrive from amazon...guess I'll just wait for the physical copy. Sucks, I wanted my early access!

Yet another reason to "not buy original games". If they keep this, eventually only pirated games will have any sense. Some time ago someone told me that piradted games had better support, had no buggy security settings (everybody remmebers securerom), people can add their own mods easy, on some OS the software simply "aint supposed to work", yet you pirate the game, and the dude will explain to you how to make it work.
Finally this crap.

So lets see:

Option 1: I pay 50 Euros, i get a game that will probably not work for some time, then i have to battle the security system since i dont have the latest driver, then i get to play the game and if it crashes, wait a few more weeks till they patch it, then i can play it again, and once i upgrade my windows, i can throw it away.

Option 2: I download it, i play it, i save it for later.

Yeah, hard choice. So far i only see buying the original game a way of thanking the company for making a good game, and then beeing not harrased by legal lawsuits (as far as i know if you have an original copy of something, you can get a pirated version as well, since you already payed for the contenent).

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
....seriously?
Why you do this EA? Why?
Its like you expect us to just bend over and let you have your way with us.
Why is it when big companies get so popular they think the only way to get more market share is to do this sort of thing.
How about making some good quality games that aren't console ports!?!?!

I forgot the worst, I live in spain, where the level of english understanding is relativly reduced. This means that "by default" games will come in spanish. Becouse of this, if you get a game with only 1 language, it will most likely be spanish...
Some games really shine with dialogues, and getting a somewhat crappy translation kills at least 20% of the games power.

G

IT STATES CLEARLY:

"EA knows that you care how information about you is collected, used and
shared, and we appreciate your trust that we will do so carefully and sensibly.
Information about our customers is an important part of our business, and EA
would never sell your personally identifiable information to anyone, nor would it
ever use spyware or install spyware on users’ machines. We and agents acting on our behalf do not share information that personally identifies you without your
consent, except in rare instances where disclosure is required by law or to
enforce EA’s legal rights. "

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
If this is what they do its actually against law to share PI/SPI without your agreement and that this needs to be separate agreement for this reason only and as far as I know it have to be physical copy with your sign on it. And countries where is it in place are very strict at enforcing it.

G

For those who doubt (like Exterminus33354 or Elmontro...):

http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/eula/EN/en/ORIGIN/
(Not some PDF on amazonws but the currently ACTIVE and BINDING EULA)

2. Consent to Collection and Use of Data.

You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services. EA may also use this information combined with personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and services. We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you. IF YOU DO NOT WANT EA TO COLLECT, USE, STORE, TRANSMIT OR DISPLAY THE DATA DESCRIBED IN THIS SECTION, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE APPLICATION.

Sorry EA, as much as I want to play BF3... with those EULAs I will NEVER EVER install it!

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]alhanelem[/nomWhy is it when big companies get so popular they think the only way to get more market share is to do this sort of thing.How about making some good quality games that aren't console ports!?!?![/citation]

Because when a developer/distributor gets big enough the suit team arrives and they want the maximized income from everything and its done in the short term with no regard of the long survivability of the company. When the ship then starts to sink they jump to the next like rats and they back up their claims the did a good job with the first and it was only when they left it went to hell. Its like if the captain of the titanic left the ship after the iceberg, claiming he did a good job and the new appointed captain was the cause of the sinking. Thats suit's my friends!

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]Cats_Paw[/nom]Yet another reason to "not buy original games". If they keep this, eventually only pirated games will have any sense. Some time ago someone told me that piradted games had better support, had no buggy security settings (everybody remmebers securerom), people can add their own mods easy, on some OS the software simply "aint supposed to work", yet you pirate the game, and the dude will explain to you how to make it work.Finally this crap. So lets see: Option 1: I pay 50 Euros, i get a game that will probably not work for some time, then i have to battle the security system since i dont have the latest driver, then i get to play the game and if it crashes, wait a few more weeks till they patch it, then i can play it again, and once i upgrade my windows, i can throw it away.Option 2: I download it, i play it, i save it for later.Yeah, hard choice. So far i only see buying the original game a way of thanking the company for making a good game, and then beeing not harrased by legal lawsuits (as far as i know if you have an original copy of something, you can get a pirated version as well, since you already payed for the contenent).[/citation]

cracked games not only have better support and less bugs, they also have more features.

For example most cracked games can be saved to a 8-16GB flash drive and launched from any computer.(Most games don't make much use of registry values, all they need to be able to do is create a game folder in the my documents folder for the settings and game saves)

With many games, the DRM can cause issues such as random crash to desktop issues, as well as performance issues where the DRM runs periodic memory checks which causes lag spikes.

G

Ok, the EA boss says he wants to End Cod reign in the next 3 years saying they will die, seriously Bf3 was your best hope of doing that. But after saying bf3 will be origin exclusive its a so so but you def lost sales because steam is better. Now this privacy crap, really you making yourself lose this battle to Cod. Since the PC is bf3 main port, by doing all this origin crap, i say more people will stick with Cod and steam. You have your best chance to end cod with bf3, but now really origin is screwing you up. good job.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I hate you EA. you also forgot to mention how you dont even buy a liscence to games, instead you rent them for a year at retail price and may have to buy again after the year mark, also in the EULA.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
people stop being paranoid...just play the game...you don't need ORIGIN to play games.....google seeds and sends more info about anything and anyone

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Is this not, in part anyway, against the Restore the Online Shoppers’ Confidence Act that was passed in December of last year? I mean if EA/Origin does not at least provide an opt-option after the fact I believe it would be in violation. Maybe not this Act but some other one of like 5 they passed regarding online subscibtions in the past couple of years. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.