Question Easeus Backup failed to recover

May 22, 2019
I used Easeus Todo Backup Free edition to do a system backup of a Windows 10 system.

I've had the need to try to recover, but the recovery process ended with an "Invalid Data 0x1470E00C" error.

Now the system doesn't boot, indicated a missing/bad BCD. (error 0xc0000098)

Tried the suggested repair via Windows 10 installation media - but it couldn't find any Windows OS to repair. I'm thinking the recover hasn't actually recovered anything.

Anyone had similar issues with Easeus failing to recover a system?

Thanks.

Lutfij

Titan
Are you trying to recover data from a failed OS installation or were you trying to clone the OS installation? If the latter, your best option was to backup all critical data onto a portable storage device and then reinstall the OS after creating a bootable installer using Windows Media Creation Tools. If the former, data recovery will vary from people to people and ofc from build to build, hence why most people say, your mileage may vary.

May 22, 2019
I was trying to revert to a system image status prior to upgrade of a few key apps (Office) and OS that had broken some connectivity and capability (OS still was working though).

"mileage may vary" had me laughing ... not that good when you're trying to recover :)

My concern was I could not find any info on why the restore failed with "Invalid Data" from Easeus and the failed restore corrupted the OS drive so it wouldn't boot.

I managed overnight to recover back to my starting point prior to attempting the restore of the previous image (as I took another full system image backup prior to my attempt). I'll try again with the earlier system image later tonight, and hopefully the "Invalid Data" was a hiccup - I might try a sector-by-sector restore.