Question Easiest way to switch windows from hdd to ssd

Sjnokkem

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2016
Hello, my friend has a gaming pc for about a year now and he accidentally installed windows 10 on the hdd, now he wants to switch it to a ssd. What is the easiest way possible and anything to keep in mind?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
this is why you install windows with only the destination drive hooked up.

he's lucky he did not format and install over data. no way to get it back then!!

easiest way is to use something like samsung magician

it'll see the source and destination drives and clone the drive. this assumes the source drive is smaller than the destination ssd.

if not, then a fresh install is the way to go with ONLY the ssd attached

back up any and all important data cause nothing is fool proof and data loss can happen. don't wait for it to happen and then think about backing it up. it'll be lost then and no amount of " it is really important and i need it recovered" is going to bring it back!!

Reactions: PEnns

USAFRet

Titan
Hello, my friend has a gaming pc for about a year now and he accidentally installed windows 10 on the hdd, now he wants to switch it to a ssd. What is the easiest way possible and anything to keep in mind?
Please show us a screencap of your current Disk Management window.
What specific drives are involved here?

Cloning from HDD to SSD is an option, given the right config.

Sjnokkem

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2016
this is why you install windows with only the destination drive hooked up.

he's lucky he did not format and install over data. no way to get it back then!!

easiest way is to use something like samsung magician

it'll see the source and destination drives and clone the drive. this assumes the source drive is smaller than the destination ssd.

if not, then a fresh install is the way to go with ONLY the ssd attached

back up any and all important data cause nothing is fool proof and data loss can happen. don't wait for it to happen and then think about backing it up. it'll be lost then and no amount of " it is really important and i need it recovered" is going to bring it back!!
Yeah pretty stupid in the first place, i told him right away to reinstall it on his ssd. I will try it this weekend with him hopefully everything stays the same, i don't know if the ssd is bigger than the hdd we shall see. I will do a research for the documents on the hdd and ssd.

Thank you for your response!

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah i cant give anymore details, i have to ask my friend for more info. But if i am not misstaken he was considering buying a new ssd to transfer windows
No problem.

If he gets a Samsung drive, the Samsung Data Migration tool.
Otherwise, Macrium Reflect.

I have a tested series of steps to get this right.

Example - for a 1TB SSD, the actual consumed space on the existing drive needs to be below 800GB.

Reactions: Sjnokkem

Sjnokkem

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2016
No problem.

If he gets a Samsung drive, the Samsung Data Migration tool.
Otherwise, Macrium Reflect.

I have a tested series of steps to get this right.

Example - for a 1TB SSD, the actual consumed space on the existing drive needs to be below 800GB.
Oke thank you for your help, i will message my friend and discuss what you guys said. I think for him buying a new ssd will be the best and least painfull thing. I will keep you posted on any updates!

Gracie