Easiest way to transfer files to new drive

IdentityZER0

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015
Hello everyone, I recently bought a PC from my friend and I put my GTX 970 and my hard drive into it. My hard drive is a TOSHIBA 5400rpm 1 TB drive (I have about 750GB used so I'd have to clear some space) and his is a western digital 650 GB 10000rpm. I want to delete everything off his hard drive other than windows and put my files onto it. What's the easiest way to do this? When I am on my hard drive I get the "Activate Windows" watermark in the corner because my Windows is linked to the registers of my old computer. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Solution

Yes, if you have that license key, it will probably work.
Your hard drive, your data..."Change product key"

USAFRet

Titan
I want to delete everything off his hard drive other than windows and put my files onto it.
You mostly can't do that.

1. You can do all the Uninstall you want, but there will be lingering bits of 'him' in that Windows install
2. Your specific applications would need to be reinstalled. You can't just 'move them'
3. Finally, for any used PC, you really, really need to do a full wipe and reinstall of the OS. For your protection as well as his.
Wipe it completely and reinstall.

IdentityZER0

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015

If I still have his windows key when I go to the activate page on my hard drive could I put in the code or would that mess things up as its like two different Windows 10's?

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, if you have that license key, it will probably work.
Your hard drive, your data..."Change product key"

Solution