Easy-Install AM3+ CPU Air Cooler Upgrade?

Brendan DuBois

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone had ideas regarding an air cooler to upgrade the stock 8350 fan. It is loud and inefficient. I would also like this fan to provide some overclocking headroom, I'm currently at 4.3ghz hoping to reach around five.

Edit: I have a NZXT Phantom case along with low-profile ram, allowing for adequate room. My motherboard is the ASUS Sabertooth 990FX.

Brendan DuBois

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

I have looked at that cooler previously, but is it an easy install? Will I have to completely remove my motherboard?

Brendan DuBois

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

In that case, will most cpu coolers be fairly easy to install? And while that is in the -$50 price range, any excellent ones you could recommend around $100 (give or take)?

Brendan DuBois

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

Unfortunately, I already have a h100i, but no L brackets that my case came with (nor do I know where to get them), therefore I cannot mount it. I will be using it in a future build of mine. I also would like to remain air cooled. I think I will be going with the 212, as the only thing that rivals it is the noctua. Thanks for the help!

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
this Noctua for years has been regarded as pretty much the best air cooler, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is very good for the money, but in your case, I think you want the Noctua if you're trying to get the 8350 to 5ghz.

If anybody can chime in if they ever got an 8350 to 5ghz with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, that would be nice, but, in the end it's a good budget cooler, not the end-all-be-all. I think the heat would be too much, thus, the Noctua suggestion

The Noctua is great, really the best air cooler you can get. The CM is a great value, though. If you're pushing for 5ghz, you're going to need not only a really powerful cooler, but a great chip, too. I wouldn't get your hopes too high, as it is very rare to get that high of an overclock. I personally suggest liquid cooling at that point, as air cooling is limited to the air inside your case, and requires plenty of case fans. If you just want to stick to air, though, the Noctua is best for your setup.

Brendan DuBois

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

5GHZ are high hopes, but @4.3 currently with the stock fan and gaming around 55C, I'm really just looking for an improvement or to around 4.5. My problem with the noctua is that the price is too close to water cooling for me to want to buy it. I understand it could have performance to back that up, but I just do not want to spend that much on another cooler after my H100i.

Brendan DuBois

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014

As I mentioned to whitesnake, the price is too high for what I want to spend another cooler on. I already am @4.3GHZ with temps of 55C+ degrees while gaming (not too much more though) and am really just looking for an air improvement. Thanks for the help though!