[SOLVED] Easy methods to switch router VPN location/server settings?

JJBandit

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2014
Hi Folks,

I recently bought a mini router that supports (openWRT) VPN. And am intending on using NordVPN with it.

From what i gather (and correct me if i'm wrong), i have to pick a country/server and use those settings, or log into the router and load some new config files. I could be wrong, as i'm currently awaiting delivery.

But if this is the case, i was wondering if anyone knew of an easy method to make these changes.

For example, i live in the UK, But would like to have a US server, and a Spanish server, and be able to flick between the two. Is this possible without having to log into the routers firmware each time i want to switch regions?

My hope would be that i could switch as and when i choose, as you can with the supporting app. I'm happy to hop on the computer, or hit something on my phone to make the switch. But i don;t want my wife (for example) to have to start loading config files into the mini router if she decides she wants to try a different region for netflix (bad example but hopefully you get what i'm trying to do)

Is this possible at all to setup? Could i run a batch file or some kind of script to swap the config files?

Thanks

Solution
I have not used openwrt in a very long time. I started using merlin on asus and never went back. Merlin has the ability to have multiple vpn configurations at the same time. I think you can actually have mulitple active and use them but I have used different vpn providers and it is as simple as clicking which you want to be active.

Merlin is very basic compared to other third part firmware so you would think they also would have that. Then again other firmware have such a glut of feature that are seldom used it maybe more effort to configure. I remember very well having to code IPTABLES commands by hand because there was no gui option.
I have not used openwrt in a very long time. I started using merlin on asus and never went back. Merlin has the ability to have multiple vpn configurations at the same time. I think you can actually have mulitple active and use them but I have used different vpn providers and it is as simple as clicking which you want to be active.

Merlin is very basic compared to other third part firmware so you would think they also would have that. Then again other firmware have such a glut of feature that are seldom used it maybe more effort to configure. I remember very well having to code IPTABLES commands by hand because there was no gui option.

Solution

JJBandit

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2014
Thanks for your reply!,

The device just arrived, and it turns out i can put as many profiles in as i like.

I do have to connect to the device wirelessly, and pick a profile to use. But its as easy as i need it to be.

Not bad for less than £20. Just connected it to the back of the router, and i now have a wireless VPN network.

I thought it would be a lot more complicated than this.

Thanks again

For 20pounds, it probably doesn't have a very powerful processor. I'm guessing VPN performance will be less than 20mbps.

NordVPN supports wireshark, if your router supports it, I would suggest using that as it's much more efficient and will give you higher speeds.

If the router you bought is a GLI-Net router and you like how it works for you, I'd probably eventually upgrade to their BRUME router which does 97mbps of OpenVPN and 280mbps with Wireshark.

I just bought their new Beryl router a few weeks ago for travel, should hopefull be here before my next trip. I just like not having to sign into the hotel wifi on all my devices. With a travel router, I just have to sign in once per day, then all my devices get wifi access. I also use VPN to keep everything secure.