Easy question?

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Just wondering about icons in the address bar of IE 5.5 . For example, THG used to have an icon in the address bar that looked like a circle of barbed wire, AMDZone has some sort of icon (can't tell what it is), etc. But then the icons turn to something that resembles a piece of paper with the big "e" IE logo on it. Why is that, and how do I set the address bar to diplay the website icon?

My brain has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down

scarecrow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Are you wanting to do this on your own website or just on your local machine? This is something that is done in html on the site. Not sure of the exact command but if you look at the source of a site you would be able to fine it there.

I love you Sarge....

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Maybe I'm not describing this very well. The icon that I'm talking about appears just before the url <i>in the address bar</i> in IE 5.5. For example, say you go to THG. Just in front of the "http://" there was, on my machine, a small symbol (looked to me like a bit of barbed wire in a circle). Or for Cartoon Network's site there was a small icon of Dexter (one of their characters) just in front of the "http" in the address bar. Out of the blue, however, these little icons disappear and are replaced by the blue "<b>e</b>" that is the Internet Explorer icon. This is not that big of a deal, really. I'm just wondering, because it made it easy for my kid, who doesn't read yet, to find websites she likes (Barbie.com, Cartoonnetwork.com, etc.) in the "Favorites" tab.

My brain has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lamer_gamer on 07/16/01 12:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

On the domain root of the website, they have a file called favicon.ico. When you bookmark the site, it's the icon that's displayed with the bookmark. I'm not sure if it has to be on the domain root... it might take whatever's in the current directory first and fall back on the domain root favicon.ico file...

G

Also, the reason it disappears, is probably because you cleared the cache in IE (or it's set to autoclear after nn days)...

lamer_gamer

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
Yes! That's what I'm asking about! So, this is not something I have control over? What is the auto clear option you're talking about? Is that refering to how long pages are kept in my history file? For example THG is set as my home page, so as far as I can tell, there's no reason why suddenly the icon would disappear from my favorites tab or the address bar. I'll have to play around in my internet options tab, and see what I can find...

My brain has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down