Easy Tweak to Avoid StarCraft II Overheating GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

xyzionz

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2008
I don't know about all this bugs or whatsoever problems, but I think that starcraft 2 might just become the new furmark lol
200 units each player in 8 player war hahaha, imagine that
and clash in the center of big game hunter, wonder that map still around in sc2?

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Fail on blizzards behalf, 11 years to work on a game and it's buggier than Crysis was when released, I think..

Except it's the opposite, instead of requiring a massive system, SC2 negatively affects high-end systems! :eek:

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
Is SC2 that much of a graphics intensive game that it is causing overheating problems?The graphics seem dated to me.There is absolutely nothing to justify such performance for what seems like 2 year old graphics.What was twelve years of hype for?SC2 is a good game but nothing as revolutionary as the original was.Maybe the original StarCraft set the bar too high for even its sequel to match.

bearracuda

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010
"Sound does not play properly on some hardware set to 7.1 sound on Windows Vista/Windows 7."

- Potential Workaround – Change sound output speaker options to SUCK or lower.

Our preordered copy arrives tomorrow morning ... must be the last of the flipping 850,000 preorders I recon ... dead last.

Jeez Blizzard ... we beta tested for two previous games for you ... you could have given me a freebee this time.

I still have the music from Starcraft I going round in my head.

I must have smoked too many cubans with my motorbike helmet on while playing the game eh?

compprob237

Distinguished
Graphics intense?
I got a Pentium IV 2.4ghz (northwood, 800mhz FSB) with 2gb ram and a 6600GT running it without much trouble. Albeit, it's at almost all minimum settings but... that's a 7 year old system (3-4 years for the GPU)?

Some of these issues I can understand. Some of them though, Some companies just CAN'T test for every single hardware configuration. Hence why they release patches/fixes later on. Think of it like this: if they're releasing patches/fixes at least they're trying to fix the problems. (eyes a certain company that starts with an A that decided to fix the problem only after people started complaining)

Also, most of these "issues" sound quite minor (except for the Mac issue sounds like driver/interface related and possibly a minor code tweak will fix it).

G

on my setup the sound is ONLY in stereo mode. in EACH and EVERY other game i can have 5.1 without any troubles, both analog 5.1 and trough digital dolby pro logic. both do not work in starcraft2. (win7 64, i7, 6gb)

and yes, it is f.. incredible, that the least pretty the screen, the more fan noise i can hear.

devorakman112

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
the overheating issue is no joke, i beta tested the game since day one, and on my exceptionally dated geforece 5500fx, it ran decently on minimum settings, but temps did go up a bit (not unexpected)

many, many people complained of video cards actually becoming damaged from this problem. i cannot believe blizzard didnt install some kind of auto cap on menu screens, this problem should have been forseen.

MF Doom

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
I'm pretty sure you mean "Documents\Starcraft II\variables.txt" No "beta" involved, otherwise you'll be looking for a file that doesn't exist for a great while.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Tamz_msc[/nom]Is SC2 that much of a graphics intensive game that it is causing overheating problems?The graphics seem dated to me.There is absolutely nothing to justify such performance for what seems like 2 year old graphics.What was twelve years of hype for?SC2 is a good game but nothing as revolutionary as the original was.Maybe the original StarCraft set the bar too high for even its sequel to match.[/citation]

What are you talking about SC2 is exactly the same as SC1 but with some new units and a new story and a whole lot of spit shine. It is just that it is not being compared to more current RTS's that kick it's ass at everything except for the stuff Blizzard does well at. COH, SupCom to name just a couple. There is nothing revolutionary about either game. The first one was just great for it's time but even then you had Total Annihilation that was revolutionary.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]bearracuda[/nom]"Sound does not play properly on some hardware set to 7.1 sound on Windows Vista/Windows 7."- Potential Workaround – Change sound output speaker options to SUCK or lower.[/citation]

5.1sound does not suck .. only a rich a-- spoiled baby would think otherwise .. seriously who has room for 7 sat's most people i know barely manage to fit 4.1 or 5.1 sound set ups on thier desk. heck 2.1 if it's teh right quality adn wattage sounds just fuckign awsome even (logtech makes a rather awsome set of 2.1's) , what's more ,no game actually outputs true 7.1 audio any way , every thing is on 5.1 so what sucks about audio with less than 7.1 speakers ???

HTDuro

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
hmmm dude lol alot of ppl play on home LCD TV now , and ppl have home theater audio plugged to it .. you see more of those setup right now. but directly on pc .... if you got a dedicated room for pc like me, you will have a 7.1 :p trust me

randomroger

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
So, the GPU works harder when each screen is easier to render? Is drawing a lot of easy frames quickly harder than drawing less hard frames? Either way, it sounds like it would push the GPU the same as there's no cap...

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]randomroger[/nom]So, the GPU works harder when each screen is easier to render? Is drawing a lot of easy frames quickly harder than drawing less hard frames? Either way, it sounds like it would push the GPU the same as there's no cap...[/citation]

I guess there's less holding the GPU back during simple scenes - less PCI-E transfers, less VRAM-GPU transfers, less work for the CPU to do. etc. So it's just spitting out frames.

The scene that Furmark draws doesn't look very complicated either, but it pushes the GPU much harder than Crysis etc. When the 4870 VRM's started overheating when running Furmark, many were concerned that this might happen in real games too. ATI's response was that no game pushes the GPU as hard as Furmark. But maybe they didn't tell the whole truth?

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
This was beta tested for months by thousands and thousands of people and blizzard ignored almost all of the comments except for those pertaining to balance and gameplay. I mentioned almost all of these sound problems back in April on the sc2 forums and I was definitely not the first or the last to do so. What a shame. Blizzard has been aware of these issues for months.

topcold

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Well, I can report IT DOES NOT WORK - the shit still gets ridiculously hot. But its typically blizzard, from you report a bug to it gets fixed it usually takes at least a year, sometimes longer and usually never.

JPHD

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
This is where consoles beat pcs imo. Developing for the pc is waaaay harder. Having to support the full spectrum of hardware and software out there must be a nightmare. Different version of Operating Systems, security solutions, all sorts of drivers, damn! sounds like a lotta work to me. I'll give it up to the PC enthusiasts though, when all of those things come together, pc puts consoles to shame. still, I prefer to plug a disk into my ps3 and not have to worry about anything. Gears of War on the pc (too many bugs) killed pc gaming for me. that is... until SC 2 came out. ;)

cybot_x1024

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]HaHahahahaha.... classic.How the two are even related boggles my mind.[/citation]

hahahaha! after bending over backwards and paying for the system with a kidney and half your liver, you are faced by such an issue! :D

pollom

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Starcraft II is great but no language pack (if you bought Latin America version you can only install Portuguese and Spanish) Star Craft for Latin america susx. And is buggy I try US version and LA and LA version have a lot of bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.