[SOLVED] EATX vs ATX

Sep 11, 2021
This may be waaaay over kill, but i am not sure if i am going to try to pick the parts and build myself, or if not, go through Origin for a custom build.

But is it possible to 'future' proof a build for upgrading down the road? I'm looking some what of a 'high' end build, GTX3090 and a suitable processor (AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core or Intel Core i9 10900K 10-Core 3.7GHz ).

the idea being this setup will last awhile, but be able to upgrade CPU or processor in a few years?

Full disclosure, but i know nothing about the inner workings of a PC and the components, but the more i read the more confused i get....

Like intel's next gen of chips maybe having a different socket size vs AMD which seems to stick to the same size? So if went with a high end mother board now, be able to use that in future still.....

but now i also see stuff coming out with ramm and DDR5 in the futee.... so would stuff like that really kill the whole idea of building something that may be overkill now (full tower vs mid tower, bigger power supply etc) to allow for upgrades down the road vs starting over with a while new pc?

My current pc i have had for years from dell, did one round of upgrades when the hard drive crashed, but it from what i'm told its not worth it to even bother upgrading due to the age of everything.

Use would be working from home and logging in remotely to work, wireless home network, comcast for internet (lan?)

typical home PC, internet, pics/videos, music, potentially autocad and revit use, Microsoft Flight simulator, DCS and other high end gaming.

would an EATX vs an ATX mother board be overekill? (and looking at as if cost wasn't an issue on the mother board to over build it vs keeping cost in mind and only buying a mother board to fit the build with no future upgrades in mind?)

i'm not even sure that question makes sense.....?

Solution
i'd look at the threadripper for keeping it long term? stepping down to a 9 series is there a big difference performance wise?

Also still looking at the intel Intel Core i9-11900K or Intel Core i9 10900K

In gaming, the Zen 3s and newer Intels will be steps up. Even Coffee Lake i5s from 2018 will be competitive with any Threadripper in gaming. If anything, it would make the PC overall less future-proof; workstation functions on an aging workstation tend to drop off less than gaming on an aging gaming rig. Some games now are a real chore on old i7s while productivity apps on the same rig would simply be scaled-down, speed wise.
Sep 11, 2021
Just like the cake, "future proof" is a lie.

EATX vs ATX makes no difference.
A motherboard that takes DDR4 can't be upgraded to DDR5 RAM.
Same with CPU sockets.

so better off just going with what i need 'today' and not worry about. kinda was starting to think that......

thanks.

now i just need to figure out what i need today i then

Sep 11, 2021
Exactly.

There is always something new on the horizon. Wait for it, and you'll be waiting forever.

my life story....

can i ask, EATX vs ATX

AMD this is what i was looking at for EATx: ASUS ROG Zenith II Extreme Alpha
ATX: ASRock TRX40 Creator

Intel:
EATX - MSI MEG Z590 GODLIKE
ATX - No idea yet......

DSzymborski

Titan
Why Threadripper? Just how intense are your non-gaming needs? Such as autocad, is this professional use? Because you're going to trade off gaming performance for the workstation stuff with a Threadripper, so it makes sense to get your priorities.

While "future-proof" is a concept that just doesn't work, you can still make a PC "future-friendly" by stuff like having a case that's easy to work with and a quality PSU with a long warranty.

Sep 11, 2021
Why Threadripper? Just how intense are your non-gaming needs? Such as autocad, is this professional use? Because you're going to trade off gaming performance for the workstation stuff with a Threadripper, so it makes sense to get your priorities.

While "future-proof" is a concept that just doesn't work, you can still make a PC "future-friendly" by stuff like having a case that's easy to work with and a quality PSU with a long warranty.

i'd look at the threadripper for keeping it long term? stepping down to a 9 series is there a big difference performance wise?

DSzymborski

Titan

In gaming, the Zen 3s and newer Intels will be steps up. Even Coffee Lake i5s from 2018 will be competitive with any Threadripper in gaming. If anything, it would make the PC overall less future-proof; workstation functions on an aging workstation tend to drop off less than gaming on an aging gaming rig. Some games now are a real chore on old i7s while productivity apps on the same rig would simply be scaled-down, speed wise.

Reactions: bfng
Solution

TRENDING THREADS