eBay, Dell, HP Get Microsoft's Azure ''Appliance''

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
[citation][nom]Humans think[/nom]Is there any reason not to hate clouds, as a user and not as a developer?[/citation]
Yes there is at least one: my hard drive failed this Saturday night, thank god for flicker, else I would have lost years of collected photos (call me sloppy for not having backups, but who does have backups for everything)

I'm happy to have my bookmarks out there, my feeds also, my picture too, my games (steam), It means I can never loose by means of a unfortunate hard drive failure anymore.

I know I's not ideal, but it's definitely convenient.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
They make life easier ... at least that's my experience using googles services... I like having my info available at any pc I log in to just by logging in to my google account, and I'm not paranoid enough to worry about the chance of someone breaking googles security and caring enough to check through my, lets face it, uninteresting data.

frenetic88

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I have backups of everything its not that hard. You purchase a 2tb hard drive for less than $175. Have your choice of auto syncing programs. So whenever you add data to your picture,video,or music folder it backups automatically to your 2tb hard drive either immediately or on a schedule when you choose. Not that difficult and you dont have to worry about Google or Microsoft handling your data.

shovenose

Distinguished
[citation][nom]frenetic88[/nom]I have backups of everything its not that hard. You purchase a 2tb hard drive for less than $175. Have your choice of auto syncing programs. So whenever you add data to your picture,video,or music folder it backups automatically to your 2tb hard drive either immediately or on a schedule when you choose. Not that difficult and you dont have to worry about Google or Microsoft handling your data.[/citation]
YES but what if theres a fire...the backup drive would die too :)

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Do you trust yourself of the "cloud" to take better care of your data?

I trust myself, I don't trust the cloud. They could have disasters, policy changes, whatever and decide to erase your data without you knowing it. I at least have control over how many backups I make and where I put them for safe storage.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]shovenose[/nom]YES but what if theres a fire...the backup drive would die too[/citation]

And that is where I tell all my business friends, "Get two backups, Swap them every week, and put the backup in a firesafe."

Or hell, just invest in those USB firesafes. USB cord goes into a firesafe, data stays safe up to the rating of the safe.

frenetic88

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
cloud computing would centralize everyones data to one location. making it possible for everyones data to be collected from one location versus on your physical hard drive in your home.

There are definetly pros to cloud computing but cons outweigh the pros by a lot.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
cloud computing is the future - But I believe in the future there are lots of problems too with that one location idea, hope the developer of that idea should take that into account.

jsm6746

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
now cloud hosting should hopefully become a bit more affordable... with more data centers utilizing azure, competition should increase lowering prices for consumers.

scalability has always been an issue, and the only fix was to throw more money at it (buy more servers). with a cloud infrastructure, you should theoretically be able to get more serving power out of less hardware. buuuut, it could also lead to developers becoming lazy, and performance dropping in applications... which would go down the 'throw money at it' spiral...

that, and i don't know how big of a pain maintaining azure would be... microsoft's products are quite notorious for requiring a lot of maintenance... hopefully an open source solution will step up to take on azure... the current issue is sql... >_

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]shovenose[/nom]YES but what if theres a fire...the backup drive would die too[/citation]
I have a firesafe, cost a lot less than a new hard drive too, also keeps my passport and other important documents safe. Buy one, pop a USB 2TB HDD in it, sync up photos and other irreplaceable things periodically. Hell, buy several, if you lose your original PC in a fire and buy a new one it will still be quicker to transfer the stuff from the one in the safe by USB than it would be to download it from the Cloud.

/soapbox

Status
Not open for further replies.