ebay dispute case advice....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
Hi , I often buy online but it's the first time ever I start a dispute case on Paypal. The seller is very very irresponsible, arrogant, and attitude changes drastically after payments. not replying to inquiries, extremely late in delivery without any message of notification. I still do not get the products now, after 12 weeks.

Now only after I 've started the dispute case on Paypal he approaches me and gives me 100 excuses. He promised to ship me the products within the next few days and I am clear that if I don't get it I can escalate to a claim. However, now I am worried that if I get it a few days later but it's something crappy because he just rush to make out something for deadline of shipment, what could I do in that case to protect my buyer's right? It's something approx. 2000 usd that i can't just let him rob my money. What can I do the best to ensure that I will get a correct product or refund?? Something I am worried is that it's likely to be custom-made products, (because there is no stock). I am worried that the protection is not covered.

Solution
i mean, you inspect the package before you sign anything ... you see any damage, you point it out to the post office worker and say: this is damaged i wont accept damaged in transit goods, RTS. then you write on the package: damaged in transit, RTS. take a picture of it with the post office worker (so if it goes missing its his fault).

rejecting is not the same as stating : return to sender, package damaged. if the package is damaged and you rts, then it is returned the same way it was delivered: recorded. simply rejecting a package is classed as non-acceptance and is returned the cheapest way possible (not recorded).

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Yes, you're still protected. You have protection via PayPal, even if you just log into PayPal directly and send someone money for "goods and services". If the process involved 'checking out' on a website and being directed to PayPal as a payment method, then doubly-so!

As for the 10 days, start your further action ASAP. It's much easier to have PayPal in agreement with you, cancel your order and then somehow receive your product(s), rather than receiving a defective product, with PayPal none the wiser for a long period of time. Escalate your concerns with them right away.

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
paypal protection - dispute to lock funds in seller account. if the goods are delivered in the monor you wanted, then you can drop the dispute and they get access to the money. paypal dont hold money, they control bank accounts (read the fine print on the control you gave them when you signed up). if the sellers account is empty, they cant return anything to you.
if the seller complains that you opened a dispute, you mention your 12 weeks of pain which is greater than the normal 21-28 days a seller usually gets to deliver goods (unless they specifically specify it takes longer). you are protected by distance selling regulations (here in the UK at least) which allows returns and refunds on good bought over the net (unopened) for a number of days after delivery.

and as i said: take as many pictures and video as you can to give to paypal. if this happens a lot with a seller, they use this evidence to close seller accounts for attempted fraud.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

if the sellers account is empty, they cant return anything to you.

<<<<<< Are you going to mean that even if I win the dispute/case but his bank account is empty then I couldn't get back my money ??? Sorry English is not my first language I am a little bit confused.

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
yes, this is generally the case if you wnet through paypal only, sites like ebay etc hold the funds, but direct paypal payments are exactly that ... direct.

im sure i mentioned this as the reason why the seller suddenly got off his ass to assist you ... because opening a dispute would lock his account

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

that means I am now in a very risky situation??????

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
oh my god... I feel like crying.... I am not sure if I can win the dispute, and now said..even if I could, I might not be likely to get back any $$ because he might have $0 in his bank account???????????

Some said Paypal would negative his account and pay for me , wouldn't it happen????

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I don't care if his account gets locked. I care about my money. Could I either get back my money or any goods?? Or is it possible that I would get nothing finally?????

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
look at paypal like a pay-day loan company, they can instruct the bank to pay money, and the bank will comply. BUT if there is no money, then the bank wont pay (unless there is an overdraft). business acconts can run into negative figures ofc., so hopefully the details the seller gave you was to their business account.

when i say the account gets locked, i mean the amount you dispute will be held 'in situ' as a payment pending (like when you buy something from a shop and your bank says you have $1000 and only able to withdraw $900 ($100 held in situ to pay for what you bought).

you did buy through the sellers site? thats a good bet that its a business account that is linked to paypal. so dont worry too much.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

hope so..
that's why I don't want to get down below the ice point with the seller...

now 7 Oct already. 11 more days left, and the case will be closed permanently unless I take action to escalate it. Nothing is received, but the seller suddenly HAPPENS TO BE so friendly to me and reporting to me every day. However, I will stick to the rules and take further action if I still get nothing in a few days. I will not trust that son of the bitch anymore