Ebay Quadro 5000

xRedWonderx

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015
Hello, I have found a quadro 5000 on ebay for around 30 bucks, the only problem is that the seller says that the card is not displaying an image and is getting a error code 41 in device manager on it (with a secondary gpu installed beside it) I'm wondering if it's something simple that can be fixed, and if it's worth it to buy. I've been looking into doing animation/game design. I have a gtx 970 already but I want to have a separate system for that kind of workload.

USAFRet

Titan

Why on earth would you consider buying a known broken GPU?

There is no way to know what is broken, until some tests are done on it.
A "fix" would depend on what is broken. Which you have no way of knowing.

Pass this by.

xRedWonderx

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015
The only way I'd consider buying a broken GPU is if it was an easy software issue, whether be bios or driver or even a cooling problem, but if no one knows what error codes mean then I'll just pass it by like ya said

USAFRet

Titan

"error code 41" simply means that the system shut down unexpectedly and does not know why.

xRedWonderx

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015
Ah, I did I a little bit more digging and officially from nvidia an XID code of 41 is unused. I asked the seller if they were sure that the code was 41. But if its shutting down randomly, then it could be just a thermal problem, then again maybe not. It would make a good youtube video XD. However, I dont want to seem like an idiot, and make a bad decision.

USAFRet

Titan

OK..."41" from Windows means one thing, "41" from Nvidia may mean something else.

In any case...it is known broken, with an unknown problem.
Your call.

xRedWonderx

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015
Welp apparantly I dont have a choice now because i "accidentally" purchased it, I pressed buy it now, but backed out but the order somehow still went through so I guess I'll try to fix it or put it up for sale for the same price I bought it for

xRedWonderx

Honorable
Aug 18, 2015
As a final note, the error code you said is for windows itself. A device with the error code 41 is apparently "driver has been installed but windows cannot detect the device"... ahhg I'm stupid, welp never gonna try that again.