[Eberron] Warforged Barbarians

I picked up a copy of Races of Eberron. The book is quite good. The
best parts being the chapters on Warforged and Shifters. In the
Warforged chapter the author mentions that they make good Barbarians. He
also mentions that the Adamantium Body Feat offers the WF a better AC
than most Barbarians are likely to achieve. And that the Barbarians
increased movement helps to offset the penalty to speed imposed by that
Feat. Except... the AB Feat is considered to be heavy armour, which
means the Barbarian doesn't get a movement increase while using heavy
armour... So, is RoE just plain out wrong?

I have a character concept for a WF unit trained to charge in and
take out polearms. To clear a path for the cavalry. I thought that
Barbarians would be a good choice.

--
Tetsubo
My page: http://home.comcast.net/~tetsubo/

Tetsubo wrote:
> I picked up a copy of Races of Eberron. The book is quite good.
> The best parts being the chapters on Warforged and Shifters. In the
> Warforged chapter the author mentions that they make good Barbarians.
> He also mentions that the Adamantium Body Feat offers the WF a better
> AC than most Barbarians are likely to achieve. And that the Barbarians
> increased movement helps to offset the penalty to speed imposed by
> that Feat. Except... the AB Feat is considered to be heavy armour,
> which means the Barbarian doesn't get a movement increase while using
> heavy armour... So, is RoE just plain out wrong?

Yes. Expect to see this errata'd, whenever they get round to errataing RoE.

--
Mark.

Mark Blunden wrote:

>Tetsubo wrote:
>

>> I picked up a copy of Races of Eberron. The book is quite good.
>>The best parts being the chapters on Warforged and Shifters. In the
>>Warforged chapter the author mentions that they make good Barbarians.
>>He also mentions that the Adamantium Body Feat offers the WF a better
>>AC than most Barbarians are likely to achieve. And that the Barbarians
>>increased movement helps to offset the penalty to speed imposed by
>>that Feat. Except... the AB Feat is considered to be heavy armour,
>>which means the Barbarian doesn't get a movement increase while using
>>heavy armour... So, is RoE just plain out wrong?
>>

>Yes. Expect to see this errata'd, whenever they get round to errataing RoE.

Thanks. I wish WoTC would get an editor...

--
Tetsubo
My page: http://home.comcast.net/~tetsubo/
--------------------------------------
If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
-- Anatole France

In article <esCdnfijWeobKTXfRVn-iw@comcast.com>, tetsubo@comcast.net
says...

> I picked up a copy of Races of Eberron. The book is quite good. The
> best parts being the chapters on Warforged and Shifters. In the
> Warforged chapter the author mentions that they make good Barbarians. He
> also mentions that the Adamantium Body Feat offers the WF a better AC
> than most Barbarians are likely to achieve. And that the Barbarians
> increased movement helps to offset the penalty to speed imposed by that
> Feat. Except... the AB Feat is considered to be heavy armour, which
> means the Barbarian doesn't get a movement increase while using heavy
> armour...

And also, he gets to apply it's armour check penalty of, what, -5 to all
his attacks and everything else that involves moving, since he's not
proficient with heavy armour.

> So, is RoE just plain out wrong?

I'd say so.

> I have a character concept for a WF unit trained to charge in and
> take out polearms. To clear a path for the cavalry. I thought that
> Barbarians would be a good choice.

Makes sense.

But I'd make the Ftr1/BbnX, or give them Mithral Body instead of
Adamantine Body... but ignoring the rule that Adamantine Body is heavy
armour just leads to all sorts of wacky stuff, like adamantine plated
monks and such.

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr

Jasin Zujovic wrote:
> In article <esCdnfijWeobKTXfRVn-iw@comcast.com>, tetsubo@comcast.net
> says...
>
>> I picked up a copy of Races of Eberron. The book is quite good.
>> The best parts being the chapters on Warforged and Shifters. In the
>> Warforged chapter the author mentions that they make good
>> Barbarians. He also mentions that the Adamantium Body Feat offers
>> the WF a better AC than most Barbarians are likely to achieve. And
>> that the Barbarians increased movement helps to offset the penalty
>> to speed imposed by that Feat. Except... the AB Feat is considered
>> to be heavy armour, which means the Barbarian doesn't get a movement
>> increase while using heavy armour...
>
> And also, he gets to apply it's armour check penalty of, what, -5 to
> all his attacks and everything else that involves moving, since he's
> not proficient with heavy armour.

No. The penalty imposed by the Body feats is not an Armour Check penalty
(though it does stack with them and applies to the same skills that a
proficient character's ACP would apply to), and a creature cannot be
non-proficient with its own body. Yes, this means that a warforged with one
of the Body feats is essentially gaining a free proficiency too, but only in
their specific plating.

--
Mark.

In article <3gtg2jFdrnmeU1@individual.net>,
m.blundenATntlworld.com@address.invalid says...

> >> I picked up a copy of Races of Eberron. The book is quite good.
> >> The best parts being the chapters on Warforged and Shifters. In the
> >> Warforged chapter the author mentions that they make good
> >> Barbarians. He also mentions that the Adamantium Body Feat offers
> >> the WF a better AC than most Barbarians are likely to achieve. And
> >> that the Barbarians increased movement helps to offset the penalty
> >> to speed imposed by that Feat. Except... the AB Feat is considered
> >> to be heavy armour, which means the Barbarian doesn't get a movement
> >> increase while using heavy armour...
> >
> > And also, he gets to apply it's armour check penalty of, what, -5 to
> > all his attacks and everything else that involves moving, since he's
> > not proficient with heavy armour.
>
> No. The penalty imposed by the Body feats is not an Armour Check penalty
> (though it does stack with them and applies to the same skills that a
> proficient character's ACP would apply to), and a creature cannot be
> non-proficient with its own body. Yes, this means that a warforged with one
> of the Body feats is essentially gaining a free proficiency too, but only in
> their specific plating.

Really? I never noticed that (and I can't check the book right now).
That's... interesting.

--
Jasin Zujovic
jzujovic@inet.hr