Echo in Windows 10

Infernoraptor

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
Hello,
I just got a new laptop a few weeks ago with windows 10 (home) pre-installed. (If it matters, it is an MSI GT72. I can provide more detailed specs if needed). For some reason, a few days ago, the audio output started echoing. I don't mean "echoing" as in feedback, it's more like the speakers are in a cave. I think it is related to some updates that windows did over the weekend but I'm not sure.
I know you've answered questions like this before but my problem is that this computer, for some reason, either doesn't have the audio enhancements tab mentioned in those other threads or it isn't where it usually is.
Also, I did do some troubleshooting already: I heard the echo even with the microphone on my headset disabled. I also checked to see if I could hear the echo with the same headset on another computer (no echo). I even checked another headset from a different brand and only got an echo from the new laptop.
Any ideas? If you need more info, let me know.

Solution
Seems like that option has disappeared.
Which application do you use for listening, maybe there are some sound enhancement settings ?
Hi,

Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try.
- Start by uninstalling/reinstalling the sound card driver.
- Download and install the driver from MSI Support site.
http://www.msi.com/product/notebook/support/GT72-2PE-Dominator-Pro.html#down-driver&Win8.1 64
- MSI only supply Windows 8 drivers but try if it will install as normal.
- Once installed reboot your laptop then test the sound again.
- Next is to try and adjust some settings with sound.
- Right click on the speaker icon and select Microphone and try lowering down the Mic Boost.

Hopefully this will work.

Infernoraptor

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
Thanks for your response.
I used the new (old) driver and that usually works, mostly.
The problem is, anytime my computer runs updates or restarts after a crash (I play a few open-beta games. BSoD's are to be expected), the echo returns.
Does anyone know of a general fix for this? Preferably some way to access this "enhancement" option directly. Heck, if anyone knows of a way to do it via code, I do know how to run that kind of thing.
I'm seriously considering downgrading to win 7 at this point but that'd be a lot of trouble to fix an audio issue.

Infernoraptor

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015

That's part of the problem; I can't find were to do that. It's not in the standard places from older OS's.
Do you know where it is on win10?

Infernoraptor

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015

Do you mean something other than what you find when you search for "control panel"?
If not, there isn't any option for enhancements in the microphone settings.

Infernoraptor

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
Ok, I'm there but there is nothing about sound enhancements anywhere, even in advanced options, etc.
Also, I tried disabling the mic and it did nothing. The echo I'm talking about is not feedback-type echo. It sounds like the speaker is in a cave.
If it helps, I'm looking at http://imgur.com/wrTG0te

Infernoraptor

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015

...You are a genius. Turns out my laptop had a built in program that I hadn't noticed when doing the standard get-rid-of-pre-installed-crap and it wasn't even named anything that would be obviously audio related (called "Nahimic for MSI"). Turns out it was the problem.
Thanks for the help!

ShieldWolf

Commendable
May 29, 2016

Dude! I love you right now. I was having that same problem!

What happened with me was that I updated my computer today and for some reason, there was a stupid reverb (sounding like it was in a cave). I tried disabling all kinds of stuff in my Windows sound options and such, but to no avail. I happened to come across your post about Nahimic and I remember seeing it when I first bought my computer. Lo and behold, THAT was the problem. Ha ha! The cool thing I got out of this too is that I now found a nifty feature in my computer.

THANK YOU SO MUCH, MAN!!! :D