Edge Removal from Windows 10 Home

kahoar000

Commendable
Feb 17, 2021
I "attempted" to remove Microsoft Edge from my Windows 10 Home system using the instruction found at "https://www.tomsguide.com/how-to/how-to-uninstall-microsoft-edge" using the Command Prompt. I followed the steps and got no errors. I added the new key to the registry (double checked for accuracy).

After the first attempt, Edge was still there. It changed from version 110.0.1587.49 to 110.0.1587.50. I ran the Command Prompt steps again with the new version number. I rebooted and Edge is still there and is functional.

What gives???

kahoar000

Commendable
Feb 17, 2021
I use Firefox and NEVER use Edge. Yes I want to remove it. Whenever I use CCleaner to remove temporary file, I notice that Edge shows a large amount of space used. How is that when I never open Edge?

Note: If removing Edge breaks a lot of things why is there no warning in the procedure on this website? I viewed 6 other "How to Remove Edge" procedures. Not one had a warning about breaking anything.

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Best bet is to go into Edge settings and turn off hardware acceleration, turn off run in the background and anything else you can find. Delete the icon off your desktop and taskbar and just pretend it isn't there.

edit- I would also suggest that if you are not explicitly familiar with what you are doing it is typically not a good idea to make changes to your registry, no matter whose advice you are following. Wrong steps in there can very quickly snowball to a loss of data and a clean install.

Reactions: Nathkrul

kahoar000

Commendable
Feb 17, 2021
Best bet is to go into Edge settings and turn off hardware acceleration, turn off run in the background and anything else you can find. Delete the icon off your desktop and taskbar and just pretend it isn't there.
Thanks. I will do that. (Turned off EVERYTHING) Had already done the last two. Just don't like to see it using all the temp space. I wonder what it is doing.Now for a reboot.

TRENDING THREADS