Edges of screen cut off after reverting from an incorrect resolution. On only ONE of my two monitors.

gmodfun4

Prominent
Nov 23, 2017
While troubleshooting a completely unrelated issue, I changed the resolution of my monitors to 1920 x 1080 (from their native 1360 x 768). This ultimately didn't solve my original issue, so I reverted back to the native resolution. Now get this -- The edges on my one of my monitors (left) are being cut off.

I can't seem to figure this out. In every single setting I can find on my whole computer, both of my monitors appear 100% identical except for which one is defined as the primary monitor. Also, changing the secondary monitor to the primary monitor doesn't do anything. The same monitor still cuts off the edges regardless of who is defined as the primary monitor.

The only thing I can possibly imagine is wrong is that my graphics drivers could possibly be out of date, but that doesn't make any sense since one of my monitors is actually working. In fact they were both working perfectly before I decided to fiddle with resolution settings. I'm just so confused as to why my monitor could up and forget how to properly display something because I temporarily changed a setting...

Anyways, I am really NOT in the mood to troubleshoot driver issues tonight so I'm heading off to bed. If any of you can think of something that might fix it before I dive into the hellscape that is drivers issues I'd absolutely love to hear it.

Update - So it turns out I only changed the resolution of my left monitor to 1920 x 1080 and reverted it. I know this because I tested changing the resolution on my second monitor. If I used the "revert settings" button with the countdown it reverted 100% correctly. However, if I hit "keep settings", then switched back to 1360 x 768 from 1920 x 1080, it now exhibits the exact same issue as the first monitor. I've also found somewhat of a workaround by changing the HDMI mode in my monitor's menu settings from "video" to "graphic", but in doing that the colors all seem ever so slightly off, and everything seems just slightly fuzzy.
Relevant specs:

Operating System: Windows 10 (fully updated as of 1 hour ago)
Monitors: Hitachi LE24K307
Anger level: Similar to that when you wake up at 4 o'clock in the morning because of a loud noise outside, then you can't fall back to sleep for any reason, then you eventually get up and then drive an hour to work to realize you've forgotten your wallet at home.

Solution
Okay. So get ready. This is the absolute -DUMBEST- fix for any computer issue I've ever had. Not dumb as in unintuitive, not dumb as in "Hidden checkbox somewhere". Dumb as in "Wait, what?"

After trying a whole bunch of other stuff, I went to the Nvidia website to try and update my drivers. I downloaded their thing, and ran it. It started updating my graphics drivers, I imagine. Well, my monitors re-adjusted and appeared to be working -perfectly- fine! However, about 10 seconds later the driver updater tells me that there was an error and was unable to complete the update. My monitors re-adjust. One seems to be working properly, but the other one is no longer recognized and turns of. Ugh, more issues, right? I restart my machine to see...

gmodfun4

Prominent
Nov 23, 2017
Okay. So get ready. This is the absolute -DUMBEST- fix for any computer issue I've ever had. Not dumb as in unintuitive, not dumb as in "Hidden checkbox somewhere". Dumb as in "Wait, what?"

After trying a whole bunch of other stuff, I went to the Nvidia website to try and update my drivers. I downloaded their thing, and ran it. It started updating my graphics drivers, I imagine. Well, my monitors re-adjusted and appeared to be working -perfectly- fine! However, about 10 seconds later the driver updater tells me that there was an error and was unable to complete the update. My monitors re-adjust. One seems to be working properly, but the other one is no longer recognized and turns of. Ugh, more issues, right? I restart my machine to see if that will fix the issue. Well, my monitors are back at square one. Edges cropped off the sides. But then I got a genius idea...

I run the driver updater once again, knowing that it will eventually fail for some undisclosed reason. However, this time I have Task Manager running in the background. Now, get this -- I end task on the driver updater during the period of time where both of my monitors were working properly... It. Freakin'. WORKED! My monitors are now behaving again, but like I said earlier... This was absolutely the dumbest fix I've ever come across. Also, this seemed a little fishy closing my driver update mid-update, so I wouldn't recommend this unless you're out of other options short of doing a full format of your computer... Cheers!

Solution
Jun 29, 2019
I know this is a dead thread, but I had this exact same issue.

I diagnosed it as the display using the wrong Scaling Mode, which I fixed in the NVIDIA Control Panel. It had set itself to "aspect ratio", not "full screen". Once I set it to "full screen", the issue was resolved and everything fit on the screen again.