[SOLVED] Edit bios settings on Intel CPU with no iGPU? i5-9400f, can't do anything with new graphics card.

Feb 1, 2021
I bought a parted out 9400f off of Facebook (the 9400f has no igpu). It is with the original HP Pavilion motherboard and case. I put in a 1060ti (originally appears to have a 1660ti) and cannot get it to display anything. Sounds like a somewhat common problem with HP. What is the best way to work around? Anyway to get into bios using a laptop or over lan? Update bios without seeing anything? Thank you so much

Solution
Any graphics card should have a default mode that works with no driver.
The one possible explanation might be that the motherboard has a legacy bios and your particular graphics card needs a UEFI bios to to be recognized.

Older GTX700 cards and earlier will be legacy.
Some modern UEFI graphics cards will recognize legacy as well as UEFI.

You might look at the support site for your particular brand to see if this is a possibility.
I'd try a BIOS reset /clear CMOS first, by removing the BIOS battery (with no power to PSU/mainboard of course), and shorting PWR SW contracts on mainboard for 10-20 seconds...(assuming the BIOS battery is removable, not all are, with some manufacturers soldering them in like buffoons!)

As no one knows if the CPU you bought and/or mainboard you are putting it in are functional, so this could be interesting... :)

Feb 1, 2021
Great suggestion. No difference in output. The GPU did spin up prior to the reset and battery pull but now doesn't. Interesting.

It was from a "reputable" facebook seller in the area. But definitely true. Although it seems to be a difficult problem to solve for CPUs with no iGPU. Any other ideas by chance?

Any graphics card should have a default mode that works with no driver.
The one possible explanation might be that the motherboard has a legacy bios and your particular graphics card needs a UEFI bios to to be recognized.

Older GTX700 cards and earlier will be legacy.
Some modern UEFI graphics cards will recognize legacy as well as UEFI.

You might look at the support site for your particular brand to see if this is a possibility.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS