Edit Permission for Standard User

rebiwar

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
Hello everyone,

Is there any way to edit the permission for standard account in win7 ? for example, I've created one but I can't delete an office file ?! I searched in " Local Group policy" but I couldn't find the command Allow deleting ot anything like that ?!

a brief description of my case :
I have a lot of laptops ( about 50 ) but with no Domain :( and I want to create two account in each laptop manually, one is for Administrator and the other for the user himself/herself.

Any Idea please ?

Skyl3r

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Hello rebiwar,

Add To User Group

I would add the user to the Users group. To do this, you can:

1. As administrator, Right click My Computer and select Manage
2. In the hierarchy style view on the left panel, expand Local Users and Groups
3. Select the Groups folder
4. Here you will have a list of your various groups with predefined permissions. Right click Users and select Add to Group then select Add...
5. Here you have a few options. You could type in the name of the user account you want to have these permissions or you could default Authenticated Users to have User permissions. That will potentially save you trouble down the road.
If you want Authenticated Users to have U[strike][/strike]ser permissions, start typing Authenticated (IE, type "Auth") then press Enter and it will automatically fill in the rest of the information for you.
If you want just the single user, type their name, followed by Enter
6. Now you can simply select Apply

Modify File Security

Depending on your needs and what file you are trying to edit, it maybe necessary to give the user read and write permissions to that folder. To do that, you can simply:

1. Right click the folder containing your files and select properties.
2. Select the Security tab.
3. Select the Edit... button under Group or user names.
4. Here you can select Add in order to type in the user you want to have permissions for this folder. Then press enter.
5. After doing that, you can simply check the boxes next to what writes you want the user to have. If he should have full read/write access, just select the Full Control check box.

Please let me know if this solves your problem :)

Simple Batch File Account Creation

As a side note, you may find it easier to write a script that can be executed on each computer to create the necessary account/s.

You could create a batch file with something like the following:

NET USER UserName PassWord123 /ADD
NET LOCALGROUP users UserName /ADD

And additionally if you want to use the default administrator account:
NET USER Administrator /active:yes

The default administrator account won't have a password, so you may want to add that:
NET USER Administrator NewPassword1234

So, if you wanted all that in a simple easy to run file, create a new text document and rename it to something like:
"Account Setup.bat"
Right click this file you created and select Edit
Copy and pasta the code:

Code:
NET USER UserName PassWord123 /ADD
NET LOCALGROUP users UserName /ADD
NET USER Administrator /active:yes
NET USER Administrator NewPassword1234

Of course, adjust the username and passwords to what you want.

At this point, you could carry the flash drive from system to system and finish your setup much faster.

EDIT:
Removed Power user from instructions. Power users are simply a backward compatibility feature and offer no additional permissions.

EDIT 2:
Added folder security guide for additional options.

EDIT 3:
Script...

What exactly do you mean you can't delete an office file? A document the user created or something else?

rebiwar

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
What exactly do you mean you can't delete an office file? A document the user created or something else?

Yes, it is a document created by the other account which was the only one on the laptop. ( There was only one account, I've created a second account and made it as a standard but I'm finding difficulty in local policy and how to modify it )

Hope that you've got the point ...

Thanks

"by the OTHER account"? A standard user account does not have rights to other user's files, that's normal. You need to make the user an administrator on the local system for it to be able to access other user accounts. Just to the Users in Control Panel while on an admin account and add that user to the Administrators group.

TRENDING THREADS