Question Edited DNS server and IP, now internet is messed up.

Jun 18, 2019
I'm in a garage apartment, using DSL, using a router that has an Ethernet cord plugged into the wall. The modem is inside the house on the same property.

I manually set my IP address and the DNS servers and entered some commands in CMD (netsh winsock resetipconfig /flushdnsipconfig /release ipconfig /renew). I was trying to get better ping in games.

Then all of a sudden I couldn't connect to game servers. For instance, cannot to Overwatch servers, but can connect to Team Fortress 2 servers. It says lost connection to game server when I'm trying to log in. It's the same with several other games. Also, videos now start streaming in low quality on my Roku and PC. Now, I cannot download anything because there is a network error shortly after a download starts. Pages also load slowly.

The computer in the house has download speeds of 15Mbps. In the garage, 0.4. Both computers are hard wired. The download speeds were slower before this started, but i was still able to download and connect to games.

I have tried a network reset, factory reset of my router, power cycling both the modem in the house and the router in the garage, several other CMD commands that are network related, reinstalled Windows, turned off automatically detect Proxy settings, and several other things that people suggested.

When you talk about that "modem in the house", is it really just a modem, or combo DSL-modem + router device?

Try your tests without the second router in the garage. As for "IPv6 not connected" - that's still kind of normal, not all ISPs provide everywhere IPv6 access, and equiopemtn.

Jun 18, 2019
When you talk about that "modem in the house", is it really just a modem, or combo DSL-modem + router device?

Try your tests without the second router in the garage. As for "IPv6 not connected" - that's still kind of normal, not all ISPs provide everywhere IPv6 access, and equiopemtn.
Thanks for the response.

I live in the garage. Inside the house is another residence. There is a modem in there, not a gateway (router/modem in one). I can't test it whenever, but i did recently, and it was getting 15mbps, which is what the data plan is.

If this is just a modem then only one device at a time can use Internet, since the modem gives just one IP address.

How the devices in the house connect to the Internet, then?

Another test to make - just bypass your garage router, and plug the cable directly into your PC.

Jun 18, 2019
If this is just a modem then only one device at a time can use Internet, since the modem gives just one IP address.

How the devices in the house connect to the Internet, then?

Another test to make - just bypass your garage router, and plug the cable directly into your PC.
There is a modem in the house. There is a router in the garage where i use the internet. I am not able to connect my pc in the garage to the modem in the house.
I do not know the specifics of the house. But I know it's a modem in there because it says modem on the sticker.

Last edited:
You need to get details about that cable connecting your garage to the modem. Get following details:
  • the modem / make of that modem. A picture is worth thousand words;
  • what else is connected between the modem, and your cable;
  • how other users in that house connect to Internet.