Editing DV-AVI video clips

In windows movie maker I have a project full of clips to be edited then
written back to the tape in the DV camera. I realise that they are large
files but I find it almost impossible to edit them properly as in preview
they are very slow, staggering frames & audio terribly broken up. Is there a
soloution to this.
I have 1024 of RAM & a 2.8 pentium 4 processor. Can anyone help as I'm a
newcomer to this.

Editing needs loads of resources, so turning off anything else that wants to
use the processor/ram is a must, including
internet/anti-virus/firewall/system tools etc. Defrag hdd regulalrly. Use a
seperate partition at least for your video files, preferably another hard
disc drive. Check dma is enabled on the hdd.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media