Editing files on a CD RW Drive

izlopez

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Hi, I am new at this forum, and not so good on computer hardware, but I have a question regarding cd rewritables disks. Should I should be able to edit a file, stored on a cd rw disk, directly from the disk, and save changes, as I do on a jump drive? I try to do so, but I can't. Is it possible or not? I thought it could be possible, but I don't know, if it has to do with the drive?

Thanks

commanderspockep

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Yes you can depending on your drive. But you need to first format the disc so it will act like a floppy. It is called mount rainier capability. And you will need a third party burning program such as Nero InCD to take advantage. Unless you have Linux.

izlopez

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Thanks for responding,

Now, I have Roxio and I did like a "special" formatting, but the drive where I used it, didn't read the disk anymore, and when I used the disk in another computer, I could read the data, and open the file, but couldn't edit or save it, as in a floppy. Do I need, Nero, or other software on each computer where I wanto to do so with the disk?

izlopez

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
I know I can do what you are suggesting, but I am asking if I could do it direct to a cd, because it is easier for me. Please answer my question, if you want, but don't send me back from the begining,

Thanks

plankmeister

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Sorry dude... I hate it when people do that to me too...

Ok... you can do it, but as far as I know, the drive needs to support it, and so does the software you're using. And as far as I'm aware, the disk will be formatted to a proprietary standard, meaning unless you install the correct software on another system, the disc will be unreadable.

You can make an .iso image of the disk with Alcohol 120% or other software and edit the ISO with Ultraiso. This way you keep the disk format intact and you have 2 disks the orginal and the modified copy.

commanderspockep

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Thanks for responding,

Now, I have Roxio and I did like a "special" formatting, but the drive where I used it, didn't read the disk anymore, and when I used the disk in another computer, I could read the data, and open the file, but couldn't edit or save it, as in a floppy. Do I need, Nero, or other software on each computer where I wanto to do so with the disk?

To answer your question in plain english, each computer in order to edit the files on thes disc. need the software installed(like what plank said). In order to read the files no.

As far as your drive not being able to read the disc, thats one of the problems. Mount Rainer is flakey to say the least. You'll most likely lose data as each CD Burner is a bit different on handling things. My advice would be to get a pen drive. Or follow Planks advice and not use it and just load, edit then burn.

izlopez

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Thank you, now you did answer my question. I am going to try Nero first, because I have it available, I would let you know, how it was,

Thanks, to everyone!