Discussion EDITING makes any Topic/Thread to disappear ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, OKAY. I will try to keep this as short and simple. Anyways, I just wanted to share this, because I've been observing this behavior here at the Forums.

NOT a big deal though. But I've noticed that if the OP edits his first post, then the entire thread/TOPIC becomes inaccessible . If you refresh the page immediately, it will say, "Thread NOT found". I replied under quite a few threads lately, by posting a comment, but once I tried to visit it back, after few minutes, it was gone.

BUT, after some time it's again visible. This happens if the OP tries to edit his first comment which he posted. This ALSO happens if the OP edits his any other comments as well, apart from the first post, and those comments also disappear for the time being. Here's an example thread, in which I asked the OP whether he deleted his post, but as you can see his answer was NO. He was editing one of his replies !.....

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-me-a-video-scheduler-internal-error.3494279/

So my question, isn't this a bit strange behavior ? I mean, if someone EDITs his/her comment/post, then why does the ENTIRE Topic disappear for some time ? It vanishes. I think this has something to do with the CODE which this forum uses, so this behavior might as well be Normal, IMO.

Just wanted to point this out...Any thoughts ?..Thanks for reading.

One cause of this is that the thread poster is flagged by the anti spam system as needing review. Until that is done the thread/post is not available.

But why would anti-spam feature do this, when a user is just editing his reply ? Will the same thing happen to me and others as well, if we EDIT our own replies after few minutes ? The feature should only prevent SPAM BOTS from attacking this Forum, though I could be wrong.

Last edited:
But why would anti-spam feature do this, when a user is just editing his reply ? Will the same thing happen to me and others as well, if we EDIT our own replies after few minutes ? The feature should only prevent SPAM BOTS from attacking this Forum, though I could be wrong.
It's based on IP address. If you connect from an address that's been flagged for SPAM then you get flagged. Same thing happens with banned addresses.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

Colif

Win 11 Master
From my opinion I would post to Discord of Toms site also.
https://discord.gg/k2b4PB

discord more for chat, its not ideal place to solve questions... this comes from someone on the discord channel :)

Most times people ask a question there, we point them here. Short problems maybe doable but anything big like solving a BSOD or troubleshooting hardware, forum post a better place as we have a record of what has already been done.

you can pop in, just don't expect much help... or life :)

Reactions: RememberThe5th
Status
Not open for further replies.