EF lens image quality with canon 70D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varun RV

Reputable
Oct 31, 2014
Most of my shots are of my 2 yr old son playing around.I bought the canon 600d last year and wanted more so I got the 18-55mm STM kit lens along with the 70D. And I upgraded to 24-105mm f4 L and canon 50mm f1.4 USM(no efs lens to make future proof in case i upgrade to full frame). Mostly I use the 24-105 for my shots.But I find the image quality to be not much greater than the kit lens and the images are soft with less detail for my taste even at f8. Its a 1000 dollar lens and i expected much more than that.I went to flickr and saw the efs 17-50mm f2.8 of sigma and 15-85mm canon USM has better image quality on the 70d .I am thinking now maybe I should sell my EF lens and get an EFS lens because maybe the EF lenses does not perform well on the 70d as the efs lenses would have.Maybe i made a mistake.Maybe the 15-85 mm USM lens would have been better for my camera.Is it so ? or any zoom lens within that price with that reach gives me the same image quality on 70D ?I am confused.Please help me out

Solution
Those lenses ( 24-105mm f4 L and canon 50mm f1.4 USM ) are the good one, the problem maybe your camera setting. When you use the f8 for child photography, you need to use higher shutter speed or ISO, even f4 or f5.6. Also you can use continuous shooting too because 70D has 7fps continuous shooting feature.

Here is more info like Child Photography Tips http://www.photography-tips-and-techniques.com/child-photography.html
So read more, take LOTS of pictures and have fun.
Those lenses ( 24-105mm f4 L and canon 50mm f1.4 USM ) are the good one, the problem maybe your camera setting. When you use the f8 for child photography, you need to use higher shutter speed or ISO, even f4 or f5.6. Also you can use continuous shooting too because 70D has 7fps continuous shooting feature.

Here is more info like Child Photography Tips http://www.photography-tips-and-techniques.com/child-photography.html
So read more, take LOTS of pictures and have fun.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.