[SOLVED] Effective clock spike is shutting down system

Apr 21, 2021
I've been trying to solve a Win 10 Dell system that just shuts down with no warning.
Running HWinfo64 logging shows that the system is seeing a huge spike in Effective Clock (MHZ) and that's when the system shuts off.
What could cause this to happen? Temps are all within range, although the system does seem to keep running if I turn the fans all the way up.
Anyone have any thoughts?

Solution
I've been trying to solve a Win 10 Dell system that just shuts down with no warning.
Running HWinfo64 logging shows that the system is seeing a huge spike in Effective Clock (MHZ) and that's when the system shuts off.
What could cause this to happen? Temps are all within range, although the system does seem to keep running if I turn the fans all the way up.
What could cause the huge spike in effective clock might be an application that makes a demand on it. So one thing to do is find out what you were running at the time. But obviously it really shouldn't just shut down even then. Especially a Dell pre-built as they are usually way under-stressed with limited to no means in BIOS to do any...
What could cause the huge spike in effective clock might be an application that makes a demand on it. So one thing to do is find out what you were running at the time. But obviously it really shouldn't just shut down even then. Especially a Dell pre-built as they are usually way under-stressed with limited to no means in BIOS to do any overclocking. If new, contacting Dell's tech support might be a good idea. If it's really old then opening up the case and cleaning out dust might be in order.

Last edited:
Solution