Question Effectiveness of RG59 and Cat 5/6 long cable for high speed internet

rronald_25

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
Hi All,

I just moved to germany, and to my surprise the router here is still using RG59 cable (and trust me, my building was build less than 1 year old, in city center, and not that cheap).
Now my questions are:
  1. how effective is RG59 (or maybe even RG6), if i want to move my router 10 meters away from the wall plug, so the one living in opposite room can get the wifi also. Will there be quality loss for cable that long?
  2. the same question but with cat 5-6 cable, as the router is in my room, maybe I want to use 4-5m lan cable to connect to my laptop.

Thanks

kanewolf

Titan
Quality ethernet cable works the same independent of lenght. 1m or 90m is the same. RG59 will have some signal loss, but most cable modems work fine over a range of signal levels. If you input is marginal now, -7db to -10db then a few more meters of RG59 might matter. Probably not, but might. If your signal is +3db now, it won't matter at all.

rronald_25

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
Lan done, but still hv 1 question about the Rg6.
Is 4x shielded good or standard (but no one mentioned it) and what does it means by

100 MHz 8.1 dB
200 MHz 11.3 dB
300 MHz 13.0 dB
500 MHz 17.4 dB
800 MHz 22.3 dB
1000 MHz 24.2 dB
1350 MHz 28.1 dB
1750 MHz 32.5 dB
2050 MHz 34.0 dB

or Shielding level:> 90 dB (below 1 GHz)

May I say you are way overthinking this.

More shielding is technically better but for a typical home environment, it doesn't matter. UNLESS you live in an industrial area with high power machinery firing around you, or u live right under a high tension transmission power tower (either of which case you should be more worried about your health than some computer wirings).

The herz at blah-blah db looks to refer to broadband through CableTV. As u know cableTV send you stuff in CHANNELS, and those are the frequencies the channels uses. People only care about those if the db is not within a normal strength range, and the problem is either with your internal wirings, or ISP's.

It is likely a table that shows the loss at difference frequencies. With numbers that large it hard to say. Most cable is state at 100ft but those numbers are 4-5 times what you see in most tables.

It is this table that will show you the difference between rg59 and rg6. It likely makes little difference on shorter runs. This is a extremely complex topic because every end connector and splice also adds db loss.

rronald_25

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
Thanks again for your reply. Maybe just to make it easy, for the same price (for 10m) which 1 is better? the one with the list or the >90 shielding.
Im just confused with all of this numbers, and I dont want to pay for bad product since my flatmate already complained about the signal quality, thats why I need to move the router asap.

The signal quality numbers are the ones you see in the modem related to the docsis not the WiFi. You need to look at your current numbers and compare them to charts that show acceptable levels for the different forms of docsis.

If the numbers are already close to the limits then adding any cable may cause issues. In general adding cable inside your house tends to be almost undetectable.

I strongly suspect all rg6 cable is about the same rating.