[SOLVED] Efficient upgrade

ajpiper97

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
Trying to make the most efficient upgrade to one of my components but not sure which one would make the most sense. Maybe GPU?

Current specs
- i5-7600K 3.80GHz
- 16GB RAM
- GTX 1060 6GB

Solution
Moving to a RTX 2060 Super/RX 5700/5700XT or RTX 2070 Super would be my suggestion as it will make an immediate difference. Changing the CPU will require a motherboard change and I would look at that later down the road and that will mean you already have a decent new GPU ready, which will only get better with the new CPU/Motherboard upgrade.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If gaming is the goal, certainly. But that depends a lot on what screen resolution and FPS you are targeting.

The problem with mid-range builds is that it takes a lot to get to that next step.

You could upgrade the CPU, but is likely to have an effect on only the more recent demanding games. Certainly faster GPUs out there, but if you are running a 1080p panel at 60hz, you won't get a huge benefit from it.

And it depends on what you have to spend.

Reactions: ilijamihac3

ajpiper97

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
Gaming is the goal, increased performance/FPS in games. I’d like to work up to being able to play Cyberpunk 2077 at ultra when it releases next year, so I guess eventually everything will be upgraded, but I would still like the one that will make the biggest difference first.

Moving to a RTX 2060 Super/RX 5700/5700XT or RTX 2070 Super would be my suggestion as it will make an immediate difference. Changing the CPU will require a motherboard change and I would look at that later down the road and that will mean you already have a decent new GPU ready, which will only get better with the new CPU/Motherboard upgrade.

Solution

ajpiper97

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017

Makes sense. I figure my RAM is fine for now at 16GB so it’s really between CPU and GPU.

Budget is pretty lenient as I’m only looking at upgrading one component at the moment. Probably don’t wanna spend more than like $700 on a graphics card though.

Makes sense. I figure my RAM is fine for now at 16GB so it’s really between CPU and GPU.

Budget is pretty lenient as I’m only looking at upgrading one component at the moment. Probably don’t wanna spend more than like $700 on a graphics card though.

Yep agreed and that is still a good budget you have. I always go for the best GPU I can afford as then it should last you a long time. I have the RTX 2080 and can only sing it's praises and it will see me through a few years to come...The RTX 2070 Super is also great and very close and the RX 5700XT is great value...though the RTX 2080 Super is a monster...choices, choices.....

Reactions: ajpiper97

ajpiper97

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
Yep agreed and that is still a good budget you have. I always go for the best GPU I can afford as then it should last you a long time. I have the RTX 2080 and can only sing it's praises and it will see me through a few years to come...The RTX 2070 Super is also great and very close and the RX 5700XT is great value...though the RTX 2080 Super is a monster...choices, choices.....

Hovering around $500 is a good price point, thinking I’ll probably go with the 2070 Super. I agree on getting the best one as you’ll end up saving money in the long run, but I don’t know if I can justify the extra $200-$300

Hovering around $500 is a good price point, thinking I’ll probably go with the 2070 Super. I agree on getting the best one as you’ll end up saving money in the long run, but I don’t know if I can justify the extra $200-$300

More than understand and the RTX 2070 Super is more than good enough and a huge uplift from what you had...

TRENDING THREADS