Question Efficient way to hook up many HDDs (10+)

zantaff

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2012
So I have 20-something 2.5" SATA 500gb hard drives procured from various reclaimed PCs. Right now they're just collecting dust. I want to put them to use in some kind of home server/ NAS. What's an efficient (cheap) way to hook them up? For any ground-up build I would need to get a case, mobo, power, etc.
  • Cheap PC case with a mobo that has a billion SATA slots? Like this x16 one or this x10 one?
  • Link up a bunch of SAS cards to 4x SATA to SAS cables? Like This and This?
  • Buy a bunch of PCIe SATA cards?
  • Get some kind of rack mount server? (16 Bays / 25 Bays)
  • Something else that's probably really simple but I'm missing?
My goal is to save money and use the HDDs I have.
If I need to go out and buy $$$$ worth of equipment when I could instead, spend less and buy larger drives and cheaper equipment... Then it defeats the whole project.

Thanks!
7nk1inG.jpg

Last edited:
Those rack servers don't seem to include drive caddies so you would have to buy those separate. What you get depends on what you have already. If you have a case that can fit a bunch of drives then you can use a few of the PCIe SATA cards to add the drivers, or RAID cards.

zantaff

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2012
Those rack servers don't seem to include drive caddies so you would have to buy those separate. What you get depends on what you have already. If you have a case that can fit a bunch of drives then you can use a few of the PCIe SATA cards to add the drivers, or RAID cards.
I'd be building this pretty much from scratch. I have an old Gpu and some cables lying around but that's about it.
I've never messed with a rack server, but if I got one, I'd be treating it pretty much like a standalone tower.

What specific type drives are these?
SAS, SATA, other...

They are 2.5" SATA III drives.

TRENDING THREADS