EFI System Partition on a dying drive.

RichardWood1

Reputable
Aug 5, 2016
OK, So my disk 1 is dying, and everything is removed except for..... EFI system partition.
I have learned that if I remove the disk, then the PC wont boot, so I managed to find a tool to move the partition for me "Minitools partition wizard" has created a copy on disk 3 (along with my recovery partition as you can see in the picture).

The next step was to finally remove the faulty drive... and guess what? the PC didn't boot. The only thing I can think of is that the PC is still trying to load from disk 1, and not even bothering to look elsewhere for the partition. Something else that seems out of place is the copy (on disk 3) is no longer a hidden partition and can be seen as Drive E on "This PC".

Any ideas on how I can get the partition to work on a healthy drive so I can remove the ancient one that is dying a death?

Thanks in advance
Rich

Hope i uploaded this pic right.
2hn45s8.jpg
[/img]

http://tinypic.com/r/2hn45s8/9

Colif

Win 11 Master
i think its your bios, there might be a setting to have it rescan the PC to locate the efi partition on the right drive. The way UEFI boots is it looks for the efi partition on all drives on PC the first time it is set up and then it has a set order. The efi partition contains the location on the drive to boot from

Which drive actually has win 10 on it? Is that disc 3? I would think the efi partition needs to be on same drive as win 10 as its contents just point to the actual install of Win 10 and I doubt it includes details such as drive number (though it might). I know it recognises partition details, and it includes the guid number for the disc to look at for the efi partition.

what motherboard do you have?

RichardWood1

Reputable
Aug 5, 2016
Windows is on Disk 4 (if you can see my picture, you will see it is lebelled drive C)
The partition should, if possible, always be on a different drive from windows, so that if the windows drive fails you can recover it.
I have been all through BIOS and not seen a way to change the boot option for EFI. My BIOS has a search function and I even used that with the search term "EFI".

My specs are:
ASUS Z710 pro (not gaming)
Bios 1801
64 GB DDR4 RAM 2133 mhz
2xGTX 960 strix (sli)
Core i7 6700K
and hard drives you know already

TRENDING THREADS