EFiX Not Making Mac Clones

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
I expect the new Snow Leopard will close this firmware loophole very soon. The new firmware upgrade is probably a step which Apple Inc prepares for elimination of none-proprietary hardware running MaxOS. Some of my friends refuse to run 10.5, and they stay with older 10.4 because they either can't crack it,or their old macs (like pre-Intel old) can't handle 10.5. Talking about people refusing upgrade to Vista.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
Steve Jobs is only looking at the little picture. That is what has always separated Him from Bill Gates. Numbers don't lie. IMO he is a moron for not actively seeking to get nvidia on board to release an open OS...

Tekkamanraiden

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
Well if Apple would create a headless iMac with better upgradability I'm sure products like this one wouldn't need to exist. Personally I own one of these devices and its great. I was able to build my wife a $1500 system that performs better than either a iMac or a decent G5 (which are still quite expensive despite being over 3 years old).

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]Steve Jobs is only looking at the little picture. That is what has always separated Him from Bill Gates. Numbers don't lie. IMO he is a moron for not actively seeking to get nvidia on board to release an open OS...[/citation]

philosofool

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
[citation][nom]Chaohsiangchen[/nom]I expect the new Snow Leopard will close this firmware loophole very soon. The new firmware upgrade is probably a step which Apple Inc prepares for elimination of none-proprietary hardware running MaxOS. Some of my friends refuse to run 10.5, and they stay with older 10.4 because they either can't crack it,or their old macs (like pre-Intel old) can't handle 10.5. Talking about people refusing upgrade to Vista.[/citation]

People with antique computers should be asking for modern operating systems.

EFi-X has been available for months and Apple has not shut it down. I'm not sure why. Perhaps Apple doesn't care about Hackintoshes? It's not like DIY computer geeks make up more than about 0.3% of the market for computers.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Hatecrime69[/nom]So, if they are against using osx on it, what the heck is the point of it?[/citation]

They aren't saying that. They're saying that they do not support selling mac clones. Their module is intended to enable any efi or 'normal' os to run on a reasonably normal computer. It's not only meant for osx although that is what most might be buying it for. And from a legal aspect I suppose they have no choice but to have that opinion. If they officially support mac clones they could be accused of intentionally telling users to break their license agreements. They don't however, and it's the user that now breaks the agreement, not the device vendor. It's a bit like a dc hub really - the hub owners don't ask people using it to download illigal software, but they still can. So a hub itself isn't illigal, the actions taken by the users just could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.